The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
About 6months ago I relised my boesmani rainbows twisting and twirling around each other. I thought perhaps this was breeding and put them into a tank of their own. After a while there were still know eggs and they stopped spinning. After this I moved them bac to the community tank.
Was this breeding behaviour.?
Ever since i have not seen them twist. If this was breeding behaviour how can i trigger them to breed again? If not was it aggression or something else?
I think I have a male and female......Do males have deep bellies and the females have shallow ones? If this is so I have one of each.How else can i tell the gender of my boesmani rainbows?
Thanx all in advance
Twinnies

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Males have the strong Blue/Orange color and the females are much more dull colored. That behavior is typical male mock duels that is sometimes called "flashing", which all Rainbows do - to figure out alpha fish and hierarchy and I think they do it for amusement too.

That said, a male/female in spawn will do pretty much the same thing and it is a little different, and it seems the papa will be super hyper as and after he has spawned, more so than the regular flashing behaviour. And he will chase all other fish away, including the females. At least this has been my observations.

The other thing I have noticed is more than one male will try to chase the female when they are spawning. It gets pretty interesting to watch.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Male rainbows of any species do have a taller profile than females. The best stocking ratio is 2-3 males for each female. That way, the males are too preoccupied with each other to constantly chase (and stress out) the females. If you want to spawn them, just feed them well with good quality foods to condition them for spawning. The females will become nice and plump with eggs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.