The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a group into a ninety gallon. Seeing if anyone has personal experience with any breeders/sellers in the U.S. due to many of the strains I have been finding don't appear to be of great quality

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi zeek21,

If you want quality Rainbowfish, not the ones from the Asian / Florida fish farms then you need the person that travels to Pagai; bring back the new species; and then breeds them and introduces them into the hobby. By the time the Asian / Florida fish farms get a species and start mass production it is typically F4+ and the color and vitality can be lacking.

The guy you are looking for is Gary Lange (alias 'Rainbowfish') on Aquabid. How do I know? He spoke last night for GSAS and will be speaking tomorrow evening as well about the new species he collected on his last trip to Pagai - like the Melanotaenia sp Wapoga Red Laser.

I picked up some of his Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo” and hopefully will get an additional species tomorrow. If you have problems finding him PM me.

Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo”

-Roy

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwrainbows1366505330
Melanotaenia sp Wapoga Red Laser

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is one of my favorites for planted tanks. I just got back into the hobby after being out of it for a number of years. I was going to get some of these for my 75 but ran into the same problem you did. They are just not nearly as vibrant as they used to be. I have had some in the past that would rival any saltwater fish. With popularity comes overbreeding and what is available almost always suffers because of it.

I ended up going with Denison's Barbs , more popularly known as Red Line Barbs . I have been very happy with them because of there colors and the fact that they are a very active schooling fish like the Rainbows.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi zeek21,

If you want quality Rainbowfish, not the ones from the Asian / Florida fish farms then you need the person that travels to Pagai; bring back the new species; and then breeds them and introduces them into the hobby. By the time the Asian / Florida fish farms get a species and start mass production it is typically F4+ and the color and vitality can be lacking.

The guy you are looking for is Gary Lange (alias 'Rainbowfish') on Aquabid. How do I know? He spoke last night for GSAS and will be speaking tomorrow evening as well about the new species, like the he acquired in his last trip to Pagai.
like the Melanotaenia sp Wapoga Red Laser.

I picked up some of his Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo” and hopefully will get an additional species tomorrow. If you have problems finding him PM me.

Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo”

-Roy

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwrainbows1366505330
Melanotaenia sp Wapoga Red Laser

Wow ! Those are beautiful ! Thanks ! I had given up hope

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
to the OP, I have four turquoise rainbows I got them at my local LFS. some may say that they weren't quality and indeed they didnt look good in the lfs but after about 3 months in a healthy tank and now after 4 years in a healthy tank, my lfs rainbows would compete with any F1 wild caught fry. you would be surprised how much the environment can change the colors in fish. now when I feed my FDBW with bio pigment additions, they look even more amazing. just saying

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I have heard and sen some lfs rainbows ending up looking nice as well as healthy but it is a gamble. Couldn't find Gary but will have to try again

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Gary also goes by the same name here as well. Check out Rainbow-fish.org Its dedicated to rainbows. All of the big names in Rainbowfish are frequent posters there as well as many others with a great deal of knowledge of them.

Most of the florida rainbows are pretty disappointing compared directly to good genetic lines of these fish. I currently have 6 species. Bosmani, Lacustrus, Herbertaxelrodi, Kamaka, Pygmaea, and Nigrans.

The male bosmani is a Aytinjo strain. His colors are absolutely vibrant. I cannot trace his lineage I got him from a LFS that had them brought to him from a local breeder.

The problems with the florida bred fish is hybridization. The genetics over time get mixed with other species (there are 60+ species of bow) and the colors start to fade in successive generations.

Lacustrus (turquoise) is from an incredibly hard to reach area, I don't think any wild collections have happened of that specie for a couple decades.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.