The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back to Neon Dwarfs then. I have a 60 gallon tank, but don't want my entire stocking to be rainbowfish. I looked at threadfins and the Gertrudae Rainbow, but they might be difficult for me to feed in a community tank. Any others I should be considering?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Back to Neon Dwarfs then. I have a 60 gallon tank, but don't want my entire stocking to be rainbowfish. I looked at threadfins and the Gertrudae Rainbow, but they might be difficult for me to feed in a community tank. Any others I should be considering?
I've kept Boesemani for a great many years. My adult males max out at just over 4". I've never heard of the sizes mentioned above, but who knows? I can only refer to my own experience.

In general, the Boesemani does not get as "tall" as many other Rainbows as it fully matures, so as far as mass goes is one of the smaller of the Melanotaenia species. I have trifasciata and Lacustris which get much larger.

Some species that don't get too big include Millennium Rainbows (red) and even smaller are the Pygmaea (silver/blue). Other smaller but harder to find species include Chilatherina alleni, with several different variations available.

Keep in mind Neons are the most over bred and fragile of all of the common Rainbow fish. I keep them but I don't know why sometimes. They just aren't nearly as hardy as most other Bows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.