The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :D

I am sorry if this has already been asked, I went looking through the forum, did a search, to see if I could find an answer to this question, as I imagine it is a commonly asked one.

My boyfriend has a shrimp tank, with 4 adult shrimp, and at least 8 baby shrimp that are growing nicely. I have lots of baby BN plecos, and he wanted to know if it would be safe to have some of them in the tank with his shrimp to help with cleanup.

Thoughts? Advice? Things we should consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
How large is the shrimp tank? Plecos produce a lot of waste and shrimp like the water clean. Otherwise I see no problems with it. I kept shrimp and adult L340s and L211s in the same tank and those plecos (omnivores) did not even bother the shrimp. Water quality really is the only issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shrimp tank is 10 gal. I was thinking no more than 1-2 BN plecos in there, and making sure they're female once they start showing sexual dimorphism. Just so they don't get territorial.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The shrimp tank is 10 gal. I was thinking no more than 1-2 BN plecos in there, and making sure they're female once they start showing sexual dimorphism. Just so they don't get territorial.
I have a swarm of Bristlenose in breeding cave/tube about ready to exit, and three adult's along with a larger Royal pleco.
Only other fish in the 55 gal are five panda cory's.
The plecos pay no mind to the cherry shrimp numbering maybe a couple hundred that also inhabit the tank.
Can't sex the bristlenose till they are nearly four inches IME ,and they don't grow particularly fast,so a couple would be fine for some time in the ten gal. IMHO
Would want some driftwood for the plecos to rasp on along with some vegetable matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh definitely! I remember when I bought my 3 adults, they were a good size when I bought them, but it took an additional 6-8 months to show their sexes, and the another 4-6 to breed. So I'm not worried about needing to remove smaller babies anytime soon.

Good point about the driftwood! I want to aquascape my bfs tank as right now it's just like we plopped Christmas moss into the tank. So adding driftwood and doing some planning would help before adding the babies! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts