The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: I know male BN plecs have the fingerlike projections on their head and the females will have little if any.....my question is: How early can you tell when you have a male BN plec? When does it start showing those fingerlike projections (approx size)??

I went a my fave LFS yesterday and bought one. I'm pretty sure it's a female since it has absolutely no fingerlike projections and it's a little over an 1 1/4 inches. Is this a wrong assumption to make...too early to tell? BTW, GREAT at cleaning the GSA on my glass! As soon as I put the BN plec in the tank, it starting eating. It already cleared sections of GSA off my glass like it never existed! WooHoo!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Question: I know male BN plecs have the fingerlike projections on their head and the females will have little if any.....my question is: How early can you tell when you have a male BN plec? When does it start showing those fingerlike projections (approx size)??

I went a my fave LFS yesterday and bought one. I'm pretty sure it's a female since it has absolutely no fingerlike projections and it's a little over an 1 1/4 inches. Is this a wrong assumption to make...too early to tell? BTW, GREAT at cleaning the GSA on my glass! As soon as I put the BN plec in the tank, it starting eating. It already cleared sections of GSA off my glass like it never existed! WooHoo!!

i think they develop the bristles around 1.5-2 inches you'll see little tiny ones on the males.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Still too early to tell, my babies from December are 2.5 inches now and still haven't developed their bristles. I think they'll start showing some around 3".

Then the amount of bristles depends on the male too. Their daddy has a few bristles while another male I have has a lot :).

Tina

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to get another one, but I want to wait til I find out what sex of BN plec I have. Would like one male and one female. But who knows, I may not be able to wait that long! I want another one and I'm going shopping later. :) LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.