The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question...which should I get. I have a 29 gallon high tech tank that I want to move to LEDs. The BML I would get is the 30 inch 10000k. He finnx fixtures I would buy is a ray2 and a monster ray. What's everyone think?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
10k is most effective on deep tanks offering the greatest blue light penetration. they aren't ideal for planted tanks with shallower dimensions.

If your aquarium is wider than 14", having multiple fixtures would eliminate the front and rear shadowing that LED's are known for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10k is most effective on deep tanks offering the greatest blue light penetration. they aren't ideal for planted tanks with shallower dimensions.

If your aquarium is wider than 14", having multiple fixtures would eliminate the front and rear shadowing that LED's are known for.
Hmmm the dimensions on my tank are 30x12x18. If I go with BML I would do the 7000k fixture then.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My tank is 36x18x24. I had a Ray2 but wasn't very happy with plant growth, and many demanding plants just melted away. Picked up a BML XB dutch and things have turned around significantly.

For me, I was looking at adding another Ray2 + a monster ray, and would have ended up with 3 fixtures at the same overall price as a single BML. Add in that the BML is dimable and it was a no-brainer.

I will say that the Ray2 was visibly brighter, but that is obviously not translating into better for the plants.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pogostemon erectus was the big one; i had a 3" x 6" section of it that all melted away within a week or two. Ludwigia ovalis did extremely poorly, and my HC carpet survived but didn't really grow. Changed out the lighting and there has been a virtual explosion of growth.

That said, Bacopa monnieri, Rotala rotundifolia and crypts did just fine with the Ray2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting take. I would definitely go with a BML if my height was 24 inches. Just by looking at the par data, BML is better at penetrating deeper water. But in my situation I'm only at 18 inches in height so that's why I'm kind of torn between the two. Apparently the monster ray will help the colors pop. I think what I might do is order both finnex fixtures as well as the BML and see what looks the best. I don't really have hard plants but I would like to start getting into more delicate plants. I also want my colors to pop!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had the Finnex 30" Ray2 and it is a good light however I didn't get the PAR I wanted at the depth I needed on my 36gal (retired) tank. I switched to the 10k BML and it worked great.

Since then I used a BML Dutch Fixture on my 60P (12" depth) and with the dimmer you can't really go wrong. I love the build quality of both fixtures but to be honest, I'll go with BML every time now (if thats in your price point).

I've used the Finnex Planted + as well and that is a solid fixture too.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Two Planted +. I had a Ray 2 on my tank and all the colors seemed washed out or more whited out than with the Planted +. I wonder if a Ray2 would wash out all the colors the monster ray would be giving you? 2 Planted on a 29g is going to be a lot of light. I have one on my 29g now.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.