The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching to a BML 36" dutch planted for my 40b

I have a few questions:
Is the XB worth it or is the regular plenty for high light?

Are there any cheaper options for an automated light controller besides the expensive reef keepers/neptunes?

I notice some people use 2 of these lights or combine with another light, but I was under the impression that one of these put out plenty of light. I currently have a finnex fugeray, which I am happy with but now would like a little more light for some of my plants and some more light demanding plants I want to attempt in the future.

Basically, in the future I want to redo my tank, switch to aquasoil, and do a dutchish style inspired by tanks like Tom Barr, Ebi, Sjb. Will this light work out for me or should I look for another option?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Shawn! I have a 40b with a 36" bml regular dutch light. I've only had it up and running for a few days, but it seems like plenty of light. I have mine mounted right on the tank. If you were going to hang, then maybe go with the xb. I don't know how soon you are looking to buy the light. If you're patient, you can follow the thread in my sig and make a more informed purchase. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can get the high light regular BML and the controller. You will need. A 40b is not very tall and you will have more light than what you need. Hope you have the CO2 going.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would say its almost mandatory to hang if you are going dutch. I had problems with my bml and didnt like it. I had to substitute another fixture to make things work and Im still not fully happy. Its too much to explain. Ther is a link to my journal, you can check it out, I went thru with detail about bml. Its a few pages back. Also, I didnt bother with the expensive light control. I wouldnt bother if its not programmable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run 2 18 inch fixtures over a 20 inch cube tank. I'll just give a few thoughts.You can grow anything you want with this light. The blue and red leds dont appear bright to us but produce a ton of par. Plus they have a sort of high def. look to them, very hard to explain. I had 2 finnex ray2 before the BML lights. The ray2 gave me about 50-60par at the substrate but looked really bright. With the BML lights I can get 100+ par on the substrate at 100% (this is with the regular version, not xb) but it still doesn't look as bright as the finnex lights. I found that one fixture is probably only good for 12 to 15 inches front to back if only a few inches above the tank. However, if you go for the xb version and hang it high enough you could use one and still have plenty of par. In fact it would probably still need to be dimmed . As far as light automation, BML is coming out with their own soon. Besides them you would need a reefkeeper or apex which is pretty pricey.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Samee I looked at your journal. So if the light would cover your whole tank you would be happy with it as far as plant growth/colors?

Another question about beam angles.... The BML website says get 90deg beam angle for tank mount, lesser if hanging. What would be the disadvantage of hanging a 90deg beam angle?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Think about the beam angle like this.

Here is a 90* angle. /-------\ obviously more coverage if you have it directly on the tank. If you hand it however more light will be shot over the tank instead of in the tank.

Here is a 45* angle. /--\ Now you see if this is directly over the tank it will only hit the center with light. But if you hang it say 5-8" above the tank it will cover the same amount of space the 90* would sitting on the tank. Long story short if you hang the 90 you loose light.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Think about the beam angle like this.

Here is a 90* angle. /-------\ obviously more coverage if you have it directly on the tank. If you hand it however more light will be shot over the tank instead of in the tank.
Yes and no.. or it depends..
You can lose light and gain coverage.. There are many factors in play..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a 90 BML regular high on my 75g and I hung it about 3" above my tank. My PAR is still about 55, according to my Apogee PAR meter and only drops to around 48-50 at the glass. Just for reference.

I have two 72" 90s hung over a 125g about 4" and get 125-130 PAR at the substrate and drops to 118-119 at the glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts