The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was set on getting a Dutch BML fixture for a 75 gallon I plan on doing and now I'm back at square one. I have three finnex planted+ fixtures and just haven't seen the results I would like compared to T5HO. Any suggestions on LED fixtures that are capable of dimming and grow as well or better then aquatic life T5HO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Two finnex planted plus ,or finnex ray II over 75 gal would be plenty.
Two finnex 24/7 model's would also work.(dimmable)
In the end,PAR values are only variable that would matter to me.
Too much PAR for available CO2 and plant's will struggle while algae will thrive.
Don't HAVE to have high lighting with, or without CO2.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Donald, I am not searching for lights at this moment, as I saw that BML was closing the Aquarium sector and purchased a 36" strip at the 36th hour. I fear the day that one of my BML's malfunctions, will be a sad day! However I have seen the Kessel pendants doing a good job. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
So I was set on getting a Dutch BML fixture for a 75 gallon I plan on doing and now I'm back at square one. I have three finnex planted+ fixtures and just haven't seen the results I would like compared to T5HO. Any suggestions on LED fixtures that are capable of dimming and grow as well or better then aquatic life T5HO?

DSunY , Reefbreeders or Radion x15 fw, Kessil ap700...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two finnex planted plus ,or finnex ray II over 75 gal would be plenty.

Two finnex 24/7 model's would also work.(dimmable)

In the end,PAR values are only variable that would matter to me.

Too much PAR for available CO2 and plant's will struggle while algae will thrive.

Don't HAVE to have high lighting with, or without CO2.

I thought about the 24/7 because it dims. I need to do some more research on people's experience with it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Another option : 2 (or 3) Orphek PR72 planted maybe but it is not cheap.

2 X TMC Grobeam 1500, not cheap either, maybe a third would be needed depending on the lenght of the tank. At least they give 5 years warranty if you register them. I am not sure you will get high light with those, if that is what you want. We do not have much feedback with those unfortunately.

Michel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still incredibly happy with my Aquatic Life Halos after coming from BML Dutch MC lights.

Better color than the Kessils and the same form factor. Great shimmer also.

I've been looking at various aquatic life led options but there's very little info on them being used for planted tanks. Do you have any photos of your tank?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I've been looking at various aquatic life led options but there's very little info on them being used for planted tanks. Do you have any photos of your tank?

No problem and sure do. Fire away any questions and I'd be happy to answer.

One month ago when I redid my tank.

Taken last night (overgrown, giving it a trim this weekend),

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem and sure do. Fire away any questions and I'd be happy to answer.

One month ago when I redid my tank.

Taken last night (overgrown, giving it a trim this weekend),

Wow. I was not expecting that kind of color. What's the dimensions of that tank? Curious how many I would need over a 75.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Mine is a 48g tank. 36x18x18. 1 light almost covered it, but I had dark corners so I grabbed the slave unit.

2 lights would cover your 75g though. I have light spill around the tank. The lights come with two different lenses too, 110 or 80 degree. You can use either or for your purposes. I go with 110 for nice spread, I don't need to blast the tank with the 80 degree death ray lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Right now the highest output according to manufacturer data in FW light bars is the Fluval Plant 2.0. You'd need two of them on your tank, but it'll get you to high light levels, according to their data.

I'll have independently tested data soon.

Cheers,

Cara

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 TMC Grobeam 1500 Ultima Tiles and one Growbeam plus over my 100 gallon tank (48l x 20w x 24d). Each tile put out 30 watts. I had a lot of algae so I throttle back each channel and one less hour so know algae seems to be under control. Algae may have been caused by inconsistent dosing and water change schedule but now I am more consistent so a combination of things may have caused algae. I would show some photos but I cannot seem to upload them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 TMC Grobeam 1500 Ultima Tiles and one Growbeam plus over my 100 gallon tank (48l x 20w x 24d). Each tile put out 30 watts. I had a lot of algae so I throttle back each channel and one less hour so know algae seems to be under control. Algae may have been caused by inconsistent dosing and water change schedule but now I am more consistent so a combination of things may have caused algae. I would show some photos but I cannot seem to upload them.

Bump: These are the tiles and the fans I put in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.