The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with Blyxza Japonica growing roots.I have two hedges in different tanks growing very nicely,large,bushy and a little orange red on the tips but they refuse to stay put and the roots are very,very small which brings me to my next question about anchors.i know the lead anchor question has been discussed to the point of nausea but does anyone really know how safe they are or a possible alternative.thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have always had the same problem. This time I set them as low as I could in the substrate and fashioned together a big net over the area of them tied down with rocks on all 4 corners. After about 2 more weeks when the roots dig in, I'll remove the net.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most of my blyxa stems usually don't root well at all, they'll send only a few long roots down which hold the plant in place but it doesn't seem like a healthy root structure.
Every now and then ill pull out a stem with a good amount of roots but its rare, all the plants look healthy up top. I wonder what the cause might be

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've never had my Blyxa get uprooted, even as baby plants and I have them in with Corydoras, Gobies and Horse face loaches and Cobitis loaches which burrow often.

Never plucked them out so I can't comment on their root mass, but hey, they haven't uprooted for me :)

I have seen these plastic anchors, look pretty big though.
Professional Plant Anchors
DIY of the plastic anchor shown above
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/diy-plastic-anchors-for-live-plants-4387.html

I am sure there are a ton of DIY ideas out there.

But I found this. At least this product says it's lead anchors are safe/non-toxic. Not sure if all are. I still go on the safe side and not use them. I'd trust stainless steel more though.
Plant Anchors 12 Pack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.