The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just pulled up some Blyxa that is in my tank to split it and replant, and none of them have really grown any roots at all in the last 3 months. What's going on? I don't have the most fertile substrate ever but I just added some root tabs relatively close to them... do you think that will make it happen?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Blyxa doesn't grow a huge root system like other plants may be what has you concerned.
While it does produce roots and grows very well for me the root structure is always very thin

HTH

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blyxa doesn't grow a huge root system like other plants may be what has you concerned.
While it does produce roots and grows very well for me the root structure is always very thin

HTH
Well, a lot of mine don't have ANY root system at all. That being said, they are doing ok so it can't be that bad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I got my first Blyxa 2 weeks ago they had no roots at all either. They literally melted down to nothing and now 2 weeks later they are 2" tall and growing strong.... dont know if there are now, but long story short they grow fine without roots.....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your substrate compact around them?

I've had similar issues with my Aubertii. I've used fishing line and suction cups to keep them grounded until the roots got bigger to support it.
It's mostly eco-complete, so it is sort of light. I tried to get it to cover as best as I could, but it still ends up being pretty light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.