The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a generous portion of good looking blyxa j. from the swap and shop, which has been in my 10gal for about 3 days. This is one of the plants I really wanted in my tank and is part of my overall plan for the tank.

The only problem is that it's huge. It's alot taller then what I've seen in the past. After planting it, I thought I was just going to trim it down and let it grow out again - since it was supposed to be mid ground in my tank, but is actually background size for my 10. After reading about trimming blyxa j. it seems I can't, and can only seperate it at the roots.

After 3 days, many of the leaves are melting, some are doing great. I'm going to wait until the weekend when I do a water change to do anything to it, but I have to do something. I'm hoping that the melting is just part of the transition to my tank. What I would really like to do is cut it all down low at the stem and let it start over (once it's rooted), but it seems I'm limited in what I can really do. I may have to trade it out, but I hate to waste it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The melting is normal. I happened both when I got it in the mail from someone and then again when I moved it from one tank to another. Once it re-establishes itself, it will grow out new leaves and the old ones will probably just melt away.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
it never really melted for me and still doesn't. i have to say though, if i could pick the most successful plant i've ever grown, it would be japonica. i trim this stuff out about every 3 weeks. i "peel" off little babies, and plant down one from each mother plant, then give the mother plant + more babies to the buyer. i'm not sure how tall each plant is, but what you have may be b. auberti (sp?). i think it's a taller b. japonica. my japonica never reaches over 6".

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if it is b. aubertii. There isn't much to determine except for it's size. What about this peeling deal? Right now it's planted sort of dense, so if one comes out, they all come out. But somehow, I would like to start it over so to speak, and at least have it grow into the tank.

Also, I would rather have plants in my tank that I can cut, as opposed to actually uprooting to maintain. 15 stalks of blyxa literaly took me 3 hours to plant, because it doesn't stay down well. I don't want to suffer through that at each trimming.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
edacsac, i'm pming you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, two weeks in and my blyxa is just about done. Even the stems are melting now, and I'm doing twice the water changes from all the rotting blyxa in my tank. I don't know if I planted too much, or planted it two close or what. I have maybe two plants that I would consider alive right now. All the blyxa started growing runner/new shoots/babies, but as soon as the stems started melting, that new growth was done as well. I managed to remove one of the "babies" and get it planted as a test, but it has rotted as well.

Most of the other stuff in my tank looks ok. Nothing is awsome - most things are at least alive or barely growing, but the blyxa just wasn't happy. I'll probably remove the remainder shortly, since the blyxa death is now stuck to all my other plants from it circulating the tank.

I really like blyxa. Should I try blyxa again? Maybe get some trimmings from soemone elses tank? Maybe my water parameters where just way far off from the tank I recieved the blyxa from.

I'm dosing EI, doing frequent water changes anyway, I have a 36watt AH kit suspeneded above my 10gal, co2 at 50ppm per the chart and plenty of tank circulation, so I should be at least in the range to keep blyxa alive.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
want me to send you some of mine? 9 stems $9 shipped.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks danepatrick,

I'm not sure yet. I don't want to just buy more so it can die. I need to figure out where I'm going wrong. Maybe though. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I believe a big key to blyxa japonica successfully being cultivated in a tank is a substrate rich in nutrients.

What substrate are you using, and what kind of bioload do you have? Cardinal tetra poop went a long ways at making my blyxa grow like crazy methinks

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Try it again. I found that it likes a nutrient-rich substrate and low-mediuim light levels, as opposed to high. My first time trying it was a mess like yours, but now its doing great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a substrate of 1/2" soil covered with 3" flourite. I would figure this to be pretty nutrient rich. I did plant some of the blyxas rather deeps, but this didn't amke a difference when it came to which ones lived or died. Bioload is two dwarf puffers, and thats about all I can have for a 10gal if I'm keeping dp's. shrimp will come and go...

I thought my lighting was high, but it is supended about 6" above the tank so I'm sure that is wasting a good portion of the light. I did lower it 4" closer yesterday.

Ringram, what changes did you make exactly? Just substrate?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've also read that it likes low KH.

I was given a couple of stem lately and seems to be doing fine. Substrate is pool filter sand over loam/vermiculite. pH 6.7, KH 4

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
By "soil", you don't mean garden soil do you? In any case, fluorite is pretty good, however, after switching to ADA aquasoil I found that fluorite wasn't nearly as good as I once thought. Either that, or it loses its "pop". My fluorite was ~2 yrs old and I switched everything to another tank with ADA and noticed a *dramatic* difference. Speaking of which, I wonder what the average life of fluorite is, before the need to start putting laterite, root tabs, etc in, in order to provide necessary nutrients? If your soil is for aquatic plants, that's probably a very good method and will be fine for growing the blyxa. It likes iron from what I've seen, as well as plenty of Co2 ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
whever I see stems "melt" it is almost always a lighting issue. Maybe you stated it before, and I missed it...but what is you lighting like?
I have to say blyxa japonica is a very easy plant to grow with simple needs. When I hear melt on a stem...I think light,.....then CO2...but lighting first.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I lowered my light closer to the tank, and one of very dead melty stalks started a fresh sprout and grew almost two inches on that nights light cycle. I still had to remove it though, it was way rotting.

As far as that "peeling of the babies"; for me, it was more like snapping off the babies and planting them - soon to rot themselves. If thats the way they need to propogate, I'm sure I'll get plenty of practice anyway.

I did plant the blyxa very dense initially. I received so much, I Was overwhelmed. I made a thick forest in a bout 1/4 of a ten gallon tank. I'm thinking that may have been a problem, because a few of the outer edge plants did alot better then the inside ones. I'm down to about 3 after plucking them, cleaning off the death and replanting them.

I'm kinda sickened that all these awesome blyxas just rotted away, but I guess thats how you learn...

Oh, and my light is a 36 watt ah supply over a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm sorry that you're having a lot of trouble w/ Blyxa. It's a great mid-ground plant for a 10g.

What is the pH in your tank? Blyxa grows well in very soft water. I have a very similar set up as yours. It sounds like you did plant your Blyxa very close together. I usually plant mine about an inch or more apart to make sure they don't shade each other. Also, make sure they get plenty of light. Plant them in the open.

Don't worry if they seem far apart, once they start growing, it will get a lot bushier once side shoots start growing. Good luck and I hope things turn out okay for you!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm sorry that you're having a lot of trouble w/ Blyxa. It's a great mid-ground plant for a 10g.

What is the pH in your tank? Blyxa grows well in very soft water. I have a very similar set up as yours. It sounds like you did plant your Blyxa very close together. I usually plant mine about an inch or more apart to make sure they don't shade each other. Also, make sure they get plenty of light. Plant them in the open.

Don't worry if they seem far apart, once they start growing, it will get a lot bushier once side shoots start growing. Good luck and I hope things turn out okay for you!
This made me do some thinking! I have had exceptional good luck with blyxa for the past year. But, I live in a city that gets most of its water from a river, so it is soft water. However, as the river level drops the city gets more of its water from wells, which produce harder water. Well, we are in a hard water period right now, and my blyxa good luck has vanished. I cleaned my tank a couple of weeks ago and replanted the blyxa that I kept. All of them are doing poorly compared to my previous experience. So, I wonder if soft water was the reason for my prevous good luck. I'm sure it will rain again sometime, so I should be able to prove this to myself one way or another.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I am a believer in the softness issue.

I have had trouble moving Blyxa japonica for aquarium to aquarium. One aquarium has softer water (Aqua Soil) another has Flourite, and another has Eco-Complete. Moved plants struggle a bit.

I was having a CO2 problem with my 75G a year ago. CO2 was low, and water hardness was higher. Blyxa japonica struggled.

What are your symptoms, Hoppy?

I'd say the plant melts down a bit. New growth is pale, almost white. The new growth is small, and very curly.

Mike

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
i think softness has 100% to do with success of this plant. Everyone moans about the growth but I cannot get rid of it fast enough....Mine takes over my tank in a matter of weeks. Do I think I am doing anything special? Probably not, but my tap has a KH of 0-1....So my crypts struggle and my blyxa takes over. makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts