The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to try Blyxa japonica out in my 10 gallon which i now think qualifies as a medium-low lighting, but I have a pH of 7.5 and gh in the 70s+ so lowing pH is not going to happen. I am curious if anyone has successfully kept this plant in pH at or above 7.5 pH and/or with very high gh?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Hi AquaAurora,

I encourage you to try. I set up a low tech 10 gallon with PAR=25 and no CO2 tank last August in which I planted several 'demanding' plant species (including Blyxa japonica) that thrived and flourished. My PH was about 7.6 and dGH about 75 ppm.

I did fertilize the tank, added carbon molecules with Excel/glutaraldehyde, and used Seachem Flourish tabs under the root feeders (including the Blyxa).

Blyxa on far left showing new growth in center of plant after 4 weeks; also Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AquaAurora,

I encourage you to try. I set up a low tech 10 gallon with PAR=25 and no CO2 tank last August in which I planted several 'demanding' plant species (including Blyxa japonica) that thrived and flourished. My PH was about 7.6 and dGH about 75 ppm.

I did fertilize the tank, added carbon molecules with Excel/glutaraldehyde, and used Seachem Flourish tabs under the root feeders (including the Blyxa).

Blyxa on far left showing new growth in center of plant after 4 weeks; also Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)

Thank you for sharing your experience with this plant, I may try it when I order my next batch of plants ^^

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
My pH is 8.4 and gH is about 100 ppm out of the tap, with Blyxa growing nicely. Go for it, it is a great plant.

v3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts