The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego and they had these beautiful shrimp that were named Blue Tiger Bee Shrimp. They have V like bands and have very thick black. Also, these bands aren't rounded at the point, but pretty sharp. Anyone have experience with these shrimp?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I saw them as well when I was down that way last week. They didnt seem very blue nor were they very big for the price. Once I get some tanks set up I might try them out to see what they look like when they get bigger.

I went to Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego and they had these beautiful shrimp that were named Blue Tiger Bee Shrimp. They have V like bands and have very thick black. Also, these bands aren't rounded at the point, but pretty sharp. Anyone have experience with these shrimp?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Theres a chance that it could be a dyed shrimp. Please get a pic of it. If it is a blue bee, it is most likely wild collected, its hard to take care of first. Also check the heads, they some seem to have this white fungus like growth but a tiny patch. Last I heard its a disease found in blue bees. I'm not sure if it spreads throughout other shrimps

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
They are not dyed, why do you keep spreading this rumor? Show me one single documented case of dyed shrimp. Blue tigers and blue pearls are real species.

Spreading this rumor? So I am the guy that started and spread this rumor? This is the first time I'm even talking about blue bees.

I am not knocking blue pearls or blue tigers. When have I even said that?

I am saying that this blue bee might not be the blue bee of china.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
In another thread I thought you and mgamer were suggesting that these blue species were dyed shrimp. I apologize if I misunderstood.

Below there is a thread from a breeder in japan of blue bees and blue tigers. There is a huge price difference between those and whats being offered for 4 dollars, so I agree that there is something suspicoius here. They must be low grade at best.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In another thread I thought you and mgamer were suggesting that these blue species were dyed shrimp. I apologize if I misunderstood.

Below there is a thread from a breeder in japan of blue bees and blue tigers. There is a huge price difference between those and whats being offered for 4 dollars, so I agree that there is something suspicoius here. They must be low grade at best.
yea blue tigers are like.....hundreds of bucks for 10.....

edit: maybe they are mislabeled blue pearls?

·
Registered
348 Posts
They are not dyed, why do you keep spreading this rumor? Show me one single documented case of dyed shrimp. Blue tigers and blue pearls are real species.
Hi Robert,

Blue Tigers and Blue Pearls are real species - but there are shrimp, usually Neocardinia sp., that are "treated" by some asian exporters to appear dark blue. If you need to see this your self, order some "blue" shrimp from
These guys:
http://www.tfdfish.com/PriceList.pdf

I thought I thought they were selling blue pearls but when I got these large, dark blue shrimp I was perplexed. They have been losing the blue color with every molt and it is pretty clear that these will be some color other than blue eventually. Don't get me wrong - TFD is a good distributor with healthy fish at a great price. They also sell the fluorescent danios - I did not ask about what I was purchasing.

So - no myth.

Bill

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hard to tell which shrimp they are with common names, a picture would be helpful and I know you're working on getting one. This is the first time I've seen the name "Blue Tiger Bee Shrimp" - somehow this suggests a cross between a Blue Tiger and a Bee (aka Crystal Black Shrimp), which has been done before and is a nasty topic to get into. Do you know if the shop got these from an import list?

I'm not talking about the tigers right now lol...

THIS DISCUSSION IS ON THE NEW WEIRD BEE!

I'll try to post a pic today...
The "Blue Bee?" I know one person keeping these, and they have bred for him. He said the colors are somewhat variable. That's great that your LFS is able to get shrimp!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you're talking about the Blue Bee, then it's supposedly not a hybrid or anything... it's just a new shrimp to the hobby that is wild-caught. But if it's a Blue Tiger Bee, then that's new to me. I'd like to see pictures of this one.

I've been looking at a wholesaler's list recently, because I'm about to order a few varieties of shrimp, but they don't have any labeled blue tiger bees. What they do have, though, are what look to me like regular blue tigers that are called "Blue Cats Eye" shrimp. And their "Blue Bees," while beautiful, don't look as CRS-like as the ones I see in Google searches... they actually look like dark black-colored blue tigers. So I don't know what to think sometimes.

All I know is I've seen pics of what are being called "blue bee shrimp" and they look like CRS, but replace the red with blue, and THOSE are the shrimp that I want! :drool:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
There are some blue tiger bee import wild caught pictures floating around online. They aren't crosses to my knowledge they're just WC.

Also, you can dye shrimp with a very simple harmless process no needles needed. I've done it.

So both are right, but its more likely they're just WC shrimp. A very small amount of shrimp are dyed.

-Andrew

·
Registered
23 Posts
I see that this is an old thread, but I also saw these "blue tiger bee shrimp" at the San Diego Aquatic Warehouse today. I'm wondering if these breed in freshwater.. A knowledgeable employee there told me they are their own species. Does anyone know how they breed?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I see that this is an old thread, but I also saw these "blue tiger bee shrimp" at the San Diego Aquatic Warehouse today. I'm wondering if these breed in freshwater.. A knowledgeable employee there told me they are their own species. Does anyone know how they breed?
There are a few people who are keeping them or have kept them over on shrimpnow.com actually, I think Xena the mod around a few forums has kept them as well but don't quote me on it.

They will breed in FW but can be tricky I've read. The blue coloration is iffy and complicated as well very unstable.

-Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.