The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for low grade blue rillis to produce red rillis? I have some lower grade blue rillis and the babies/juvies looks like red rillis.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Doesn't sound impossible; I think Blue Rilis were selected from Red Rilis. I have Red Rilis that have produced Blue Rilis (though I've only seen two out of probably 100+ shrimplets).

·
Registered
801 Posts
No, I haven't culled them yet; they are still in the same tank as my Red Rilis. I don't think I would mix the two, if I purchased Blues separately. I'm keeping mine together thus far because they are from my original Red Rili group, so from the same line/batch, and I'm not too focused on selectively breeding Rilis yet; more on CRS/CBS.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Very nice! They might be low grade but they are very cool. I find it interesting how the eggs are yellow.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yea, i though it was too.
But Nikki assure me that they are just lower grade and the higher grade will cost a lot more.

Anyway, that is why i'm very curious about the babies. Hopefully, they will atleast throw out some higher grade one:)

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Looks good to me, also I got some blue rili from regular red rili, but the blue didn't show up until they were over 1cm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I shouldn't worry about them being in there together? I don't have any more room for another tank. They look like red rillis to me. Sometimes I have a hard time telling blue rillis from blue pearls to be honest.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to tell on the ones with little or no red. But I wouldn't separate the red rilis and blue ones, that would be pretty labor intensive. Maybe separate the adult red rilis from the adult blue rilis, that should be easier than trying to sort through fry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just had one clutch hatch. they all look red/pink so far. i have another 3 females that are berried. hope they turn out well... i was expecting higher quality when i got the shrimp in. most look like blue pearls and only a few had rili markings. even then, only a minimal amount of red coloration is evident. i suppose i need to do some quality control and culling when the shrimplets grow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts