The Planted Tank Forum banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I never really got into shrimp, why do they require so much patience?
I think part of it is they are just so sensitive to change and tanks fluctuate a lot more in the first 3-4 months than they tend to thereafter. The plants also have time to get established and growing, which keeps nitrogen levels consistently low. And the types of shrimp I have here feed largely on algae and biofilm growing in the aquarium. This takes time to develop. All the supplemental foods in the world don't seem to equal growing "muck" for them to graze on.

And are you using another creature to cull or "other" methods?
Neither really. I have several planted tanks, some with fish some without that I move the culls to. Culls are just shrimp I don't want in the breeding population. I have one 50 gallon tank with just cull shrimp and a betta.

The betta surely eats some babies, but not enough to slow the population. In another tank with white clouds, the adult shrimp get to live out their life, but no babies ever make it in that one. But I never actively kill shrimp or even feed them to other things.

·
Banned
902 Posts
One idea for feeding would be to put some aquarium safe rocks in a small container full of water next to a sunny window. The rocks should grow a lot of algae, and then you could put a rock in the tank for the shrimp to feast on.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Did water changes today and tried to take an iPhone video. Kind of sorry video quality and I didn't speak loud enough but I'll do better next try.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, I won the OEBT auction that @Discusluv pointed out to me and got a small group of red pintos as well for the other tank from the same seller. They arrive tomorrow and I'm somewhat panicked! It's not even entirely rational; the tanks have been testing perfectly for the species I have coming. For no better reason than my GH was 9 and the sellers is 5, I just did a 40% water change replacing with only RO/DI (on an empty tank except for plants). Just in case. In part since the old water was from before I changed my RO/DI membranes. Even though my crystal reds, blue bolts and michlings are doing fine in the "old" water. I halfway feel like I should move all them to another tank with Caridina already thriving in there. But I don't want to mix these lines and these two 20's have to be solid by now. They just have to be. After forcing down the GH, every test result says they are exactly where the seller's tanks are. But I had intended to move a few shrimp to them before buying anything, and didn't get a chance to. Therefore I fear they are all going to die!

This is a relaxing hobby at most times, but I swear I have PTSD from losing prized shrimp.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Well, I won the OEBT auction that @Discusluv pointed out to me and got a small group of red pintos as well for the other tank from the same seller. They arrive tomorrow and I'm somewhat panicked! It's not even entirely rational; the tanks have been testing perfectly for the species I have coming. For no better reason than my GH was 9 and the sellers is 5, I just did a 40% water change replacing with only RO/DI (on an empty tank except for plants). Just in case. In part since the old water was from before I changed my RO/DI membranes. Even though my crystal reds, blue bolts and michlings are doing fine in the "old" water. I halfway feel like I should move all them to another tank with Caridina already thriving in there. But I don't want to mix these lines and these two 20's have to be solid by now. They just have to be. After forcing down the GH, every test result says they are exactly where the seller's tanks are. But I had intended to move a few shrimp to them before buying anything, and didn't get a chance to. Therefore I fear they are all going to die!

This is a relaxing hobby at most times, but I swear I have PTSD from losing prized shrimp.
OH! I am excited for you. :surprise:
That seller looks legit-- I am hoping ( crossing my fingers) that this transaction turns out well because I directed you there. Oh, geezo, now Im as nervous as you are... I know they were costly, but the pictures appear to be very good stock.

Please let us know how they come- I think Ill order my own tigers from him when the vase is ready if all goes well.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thank YOU for finding these, and nothing is on you should anything go wrong! I have been looking for super nice royal blues in particular and was starting to joke that their species name should be Caridina unobtanium so I'm thrilled you found some for me. The seller's feedback is solid, so I'm not worried about him or his stock nearly as much as my "new" tanks. So paranoid that I just put a giant bag of activated carbon and medium bag of Purigen in each tank. You know, just in case there was something on my hands. Or something.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Victory!

The only problem I've ever seen people really have with OEBTs is likely bacterial and that's something you won't have to worry about because: you have clean tanks, leaf litter, know how to use things like Maracyn-2 and won't drag your feet if you see something concerning. TL;DR: It's usually newcomers to the hobby who have problems and you're not a newcomer.

Not sure how many you were able to snag but is it possible for you to break them up into two separate colonies? That's what I like to do when I get something I'm anxious about. Maybe give you some peace of mind despite it being wholly unnecessary.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Terrifies me, but so does putting fragile lines in untested tanks with only snails and plants. I do think those tanks are solid, but maybe 2 months is pushing it. If I am 100% sure I have a gender pair out of the 5 I purchased, I may just bring 2 home to my best bee tank and keep them in a breeder net. Splitting them is a scary proposition but perhaps I bring some home tank water and drip half of them to that while I drip the others to their tank at my office. When I get off work, they should be acclimated to my best home tank. I bet they come in no more than a cup of water though. Maybe I should just bring them all home to a tank that's rocking rather than even tempt fate? These "feel like" good tanks though man, been running and growing plants for a while. Biggest change since the ADA stopped producing NH4 was today in a big RO/DI water replacement. Plants are growing, 3 batches of leaves have broken down, unless there's something I could never expect they should be near perfect environments. But this is a couple hundred bucks worth of very few shrimp. What would you do?

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Shrimp are here. The OEBT's are almost solid black in the bag. This volume of water is so small to split for acclimation into two tanks, plus the stress of sitting on my counter for 6 more hours until I get home from work. I'm going for it. There's no reason to think these tanks aren't ready other than my own paranoia. Cross some fingers for me, the dripping begins.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm trying to leave them in the dark while they drip but it's really hard not peeking. Every 5 minutes.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I just use airline tubing running from the tank to the pitchers I put the shrimp in with their shipping water. You can either use a gang valve to slow the drip to your desired speed or just tie a knot in the airline -though that's a less exact method. I just try to drip them over at least 4 hours.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I just use airline tubing running from the tank to the pitchers I put the shrimp in with their shipping water. You can either use a gang valve to slow the drip to your desired speed or just tie a knot in the airline -though that's a less exact method. I just try to drip them over at least 4 hours.
How many of the OEBT and the Red Pinto did your order? Were all alive on receipt? Was the packaging good?

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Professional packing and all arrived alive (and on time). 5+1 on both OEBTs and red pintos. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from this guy, even if worst case scenario were to happen.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Professional packing and all arrived alive (and on time). 5+1 on both OEBTs and red pintos. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from this guy, even if worst case scenario were to happen.
Whew- what a relief!
Also, now I know where to get mine- yeah! I think he even had some Black Tiger shrimp. [Not sure if they were orange-eye. ]

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
If I didn't know better I'd think that was what he sent me. That or they are so dark blue that they look black in the bag. But if they acclimate and thrive, I don't really care, I think black ones are amazing. And I never really cared about the orange eyes either, especially if they have impaired vision (which I don't think has ever been settled).

61 - 80 of 167 Posts