The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to keep some blue rams, i'm thinking maybe 2 but i'm so confused on how difficult it is or isn't to keep cichlids. There are so many conflicting views out there! I've got a rainbow shark and 2 gourami's in the tank already and i'd also like to keep some similar sized schooling fish as well. Thoughts? I'm also a newb if you couldn't tell by this and my countless other annoying posts :icon_smil. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
GBR's are pretty easy to keep. but they can tend to be a little aggressive at times. You should be safe getting a pair, but I would keep an eye on them for a few days to make sure they aren't bullying your other fish.

I keep a mating pair with a 12 or so rainbows in a 55g and as long as the rainbows don't get near the eggs everybody is happy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was a bit worry about getting German Blue Ram, since I am a beginner myself. I only begun this hobby about 6 month ago. That day when I was in the fish store, I thought that I saw a pair of German Blues! I just had to get it lol.
After I got the pair GBR, I did more water changes just for them :p . They are great fish! my favor by far!

917 Posts
Don't worry, they're easy to keep and they're somewhat peaceful. It probably helps all fish if your tank is heavily planted. I got two at Petsmart on Monday and they laid eggs within 12 hours, and they haven't eaten them either. Still guarding them as a team.

The only issues I've seen them have is with my female dwarf puffer... I guess she got territorial or whatever because of the new fish. It was kinda like a standoff, no picking or anything. The puffer imitated it and was the one to swim away out of fear. The GBR never did anything to it.

They're even safe with fry. I have a lot of guppy fry in the same tank. One of them swam over to the eggs while the GBRs weren't watching and was picking at an egg. The male GBR (biggest fish in the tank, able to eat the baby) just swam over and scared the baby guppy away.

I've kept GBRs before with gourami and there were no issues. The gourami were about the same size or a bit smaller than the GBR.

I think they're a great community fish. They will fend off fish that initiate a "fight" but they don't cause problems. Very easy to keep, as with most fish. Not picky eaters or whatever -- I think that's the only thing that can make a fish difficult to keep lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really want to keep some blue rams, i'm thinking maybe 2 but i'm so confused on how difficult it is or isn't to keep cichlids. There are so many conflicting views out there! I've got a rainbow shark and 2 gourami's in the tank already and i'd also like to keep some similar sized schooling fish as well. Thoughts? I'm also a newb if you couldn't tell by this and my countless other annoying posts :icon_smil. Thanks guys.
Hey neighbor where in NJ are you located?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
With the GBRs, the key is good stock, so be careful where you get them from, too much color on them when they are small is not as good thing, i would get they from a good source. You can get 2 FM to 1 Male. Fun fish to keep.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
GBRs are "all bark, no bite", even competing males will not do any real damage. Great fish to keep, but they do need a mature / stable tank.

IME, I would strongly advise against odd numbers in the same tank - always keep them in pairs as adults. With 2F and 1M, the chance of one female killing the other is just too high.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So I took the plunge and picked up 2 gbr from my LFS. Acclimated them for well over an hour and now one of them is laying sideways between 2 of my plants as you can see. Should I be freaked out about this not being a good sign or not panic because they've only been in the tank for an hour?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I took the plunge and picked up 2 gbr from my LFS. Acclimated them for well over an hour and now one of them is laying sideways between 2 of my plants as you can see. Should I be freaked out about this not being a good sign or not panic because they've only been in the tank for an hour?
I would freak out, thats what Im fearing will happen when i get my rams. Did you drip acclimate them? Were they paired up at the store?

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's definitely not good. Did you check nitrate levels? GBRs are sensitive to any nitrate or ammonia

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Also checked ammonia, came back at zero. Seems fine to me. The one ram that was sideways is now sitting right side up just huddled next to one of my rocks. I know these test strips suck but that's all I have right now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't have any experience with Rams, but I have been reading as much as I can as I am interested in getting some soon. Perhaps someone can comment on how sensitive these fish are? I am wondering if the nitrates are too high. I did see a post that you were having trouble with some Angels the other day, perhaps it is a water quality or temp issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any experience with Rams, but I have been reading as much as I can as I am interested in getting some soon. Perhaps someone can comment on how sensitive these fish are? I am wondering if the nitrates are too high. I did see a post that you were having trouble with some Angels the other day, perhaps it is a water quality or temp issue.
Water is at a consistant 78f and from what i can tell by using the test strips my nitrates are around 20. not sure what to think really.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
78 is a bit cool for GBR. I'd raise the temp up to at least 80 or even 82 and keep up with those water changes! I lost a ram once from the slightest increase in nitrate. Missed one water change (when I was doing about 2x a week) and lost the ram the next day. I believe my water test at that time showed my nitrate rose from the usual 10-20 ppm up to almost 40. That was apparently enough!

Edit:
Just saw your other post about losing the Angels. I take it that you only just began to stock this tank for the first time? I think you're stocking a bit too fast. Let your tank stabilize with the new bio load for a while before adding anything else. I'm far from an expert, but I would also suggest ditching those 5 in 1 test strips and getting something a bit more accurate. If I'm correct in thinking you only just began to stock this tank I would also suggest increasing water changes from twice a week to every other day (or even daily for a week or so if you have the time).

I also just realize you haven't updated the post about the ram's condition. I hope we shouldn't assume the worst. It happens to us all though; so learn from your mistakes!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately the one ram didn't make it through the night. The other one seems okay for the time being. I will definitely increase my wc frequency but I don't understand how this could be ammonia poisoning, I didn't post the pic of it but my api master test kit for ammonia was at 0 ppm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.