The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 2 female blue rams for a couple weeks now but I havent found any males yet. One or both fish have layed eggs and the two are guarding the spawning site and behaving just like a male and female couple.. It is very interesting I had no idea that they would cooperate this way, I have kept rams for years and this is the first time seeing this behavior. I am sure that as soon as I add males to the tank they will behave normally, but until then they seem to be leading an alternative lifestyle. ;)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have had 2 female blue rams for a couple weeks now but I havent found any males yet. One or both fish have layed eggs and the two are guarding the spawning site and behaving just like a male and female couple.. It is very interesting I had no idea that they would cooperate this way, I have kept rams for years and this is the first time seeing this behavior. I am sure that as soon as I add males to the tank they will behave normally, but until then they seem to be leading an alternative lifestyle. ;)

could you post picture of both of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is it possible you have a young male? I would wait to see if the eggs are fertile before adding another male. You may already have your breeding couple.
Julia

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Sometimes female cichlids will lay eggs even in the absence of males. However, pictures would be helpful.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cant get any decent photos but i have a decent video that is uploading now. About 35% uploaded at the moment.

They are still guarding the spawn site together but it looks like most of the eggs are gone.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
maybe they are lesbians ;)
I had 2 females lying eggs with 1 male at the same time in the same batch, that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got 2 males, and now the females are aggressive to eachother, but the males arent fighting eachother yet. The males and females are getting along. But now the two females are fighting a bit.. theyre so fun to watch!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
looks like MF to me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts