The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a few blue rams to my 46 Gallon planted tank.
Its well established and well planted. My question is do i need to add any products like Kent Cichlid Essential or Cichlid Chemistry?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nope, those are for African cichlids, I believe. Africans like really hard water with lots of minerals in it. Rams tend to like soft water with a low pH, but can be adapted to just about anything. They do tend to be fairly sensitive to major changes in water conditions, and easily stressed. The best thing would be if you can find some that were locally bred in the water in your area, but if not, you should still be ok.

If you didn't know, I would note that they are fairly aggressive and territorial, especially if they pair up for mating. I had four in a 55 gallon, and by luck I ended up with two mating pairs. Within a few weeks, I only had one of the four left because of the aggression, plus they killed a pair of firemouth cichlids. Just a warning about them. You might do best with just two in a tank that size.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I also echo the recommendation to keep at most, one pair in the 46g.

Also, as Ariel301 mentioned, you will not need to add any of those cichlid buffers as Blue Rams are from South America and do not need the hard water that African cichlids like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated. And to answer Lauraleellbp its RO water.
pH=6.8 neutral. Alkalinity KH=40ppm low. Total Hardness GH75ppm soft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts