The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am contemplating whether to keep or give away my bolivans in exchange for blue rams. I have a ph of 7.2 and im tyring to lower to about 7. Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Temp is around 76-78. Fish i have currently are 5 corydoras, 1 angelfish, 2 sae, bn pleco, 3 red eye tetras( getting more), and the 2 bolivians. I just dont like the color of the bolivians, woud the blue rams be a good choice?

·
Registered
635 Posts
In my experience, bolivians are a little hardier than the GBR's, but nothing significant. Otherwise, if you can keep one, you can keep the other, ime. I've had both do well and live long healthy lives in a ph of 8.3. My GBR/gold rams/electric blue rams seemed to do better with the temp a little on the warmer side (78-80), but you're getting into that ballpark anyway and don't have anything in your tank that can't take those temps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks it seems to me i might go for em. Is there a good way to acclimate them. And i dont have a quarentine tank to leave em in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I got my pair of German Blue Rams, I just did the dip method at a little less than 1 drop per second into the bag that they came in. When the bag is about to full, I take out 1/3 of the water. I repeat that for 3 times and done :)

Best of luck to ya.

and I love my Rams :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I heard they don't live long because they are injected with hormones. I will be going to get these at petsmart.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks it seems to me i might go for em. Is there a good way to acclimate them. And i dont have a quarentine tank to leave em in.
Ime the toughest part of keeping GBRs is getting them to survive the acclimation process. I recommend drip acclimating for a minimum of 2 hours. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If your going to drip acclimate which is a good idea,, then adding a few drop's of PRIME water conditioner to the bag/ bucket would be of help.
Fish produce small amount of ammonia as by product of respiration, and extended time in bucket or bag could see ammonia rise to uncomfortable level.
Would not get too much hope up for store bought Ram's that are fairly sensitive fish any way and have recently been in transport.
I kept them for a few year's in moderately hard water,temp 80 degree's F,
Life span is about three year's, but it seemed that those sourced from breeder's seldom lasted more than a few month's.
Store bought fishes died within a few week's.Maybe one out of six made it for a year.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If your going to drip acclimate which is a good idea,, then adding a few drop's of PRIME water conditioner to the bag/ bucket would be of help.
Fish produce small amount of ammonia as by product of respiration, and extended time in bucket or bag could see ammonia rise to uncomfortable level.
Would not get too much hope up for store bought Ram's that are fairly sensitive fish any way and have recently been in transport.
I kept them for a few year's in moderately hard water,temp 80 degree's F,
Life span is about three year's, but it seemed that those sourced from breeder's seldom lasted more than a few month's.
Store bought fishes died within a few week's.Maybe one out of six made it for a year.
Great call out on the prime conditioner. I'll be sure to do this when I drip acclimate. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts