The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Some strains of blue pearls throw amber shrimp and snowball shrimp along with the blue ones.

I bought my blue pearls on AquaBid from 3 different sellers and I too have quite a few ambers. I cull them though and the blues are finally starting to win. There are more blues than ambers now.

ambers

blue pearls

While the ambers are pretty, they are not what I thought I was buying and I was a bit miffed that none of the sellers mentioned that they would produce ambers and snowballs along with the blues.

They are all in the same tank on white substrate. I moved some to dark substrate and it made no difference with mine.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have amber ones... And someone on here decided it would be nice to send me some brown ones when I payed for blue... yes brown... I was very miffed... I've been putting all the amber ones in a separate tank by themselves... The snowballs too... Just to see what would happen if I separated them... I have a strange one thats dark mottled brown on top and bright blue on bottom.. I assume they keep breeding and throwing out all 3 types... but I don't know much about breeding.... I also noticed that some of the snowballs are in face a light blue... some of them...

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Leave the ambers unless they're adults. I've had plenty of baby ambers end up becoming blue. Snowballs are another story...

Your shrimp will also show nicer coloring if you don't use such a light substrate or have more plant cover. That tends to bleach out the colors. My substrate is brown and most of my shrimp show blue unless they're moulting or something like that in which case they may become pale. A black substrate works even better from some pictures I've seen. Shrimp like to try to blend in with their surroundings to avoid predation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.