The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some blue pearls... i was very excited.... They have been thriving and growing in my aquarium... today I did a rescape... Planted some plants, took some rocks out... Added some in. I just came home to 3 of them dead on the substrate. I didn't do anythign differently... I even let the rock sit in a bucket for 3 weeks and tested it everyday. There was no change. The only thing I can think of is that the rotala came in some sort of aquatic soil... But I washed it thoroughly... I don't have a water test kit. I ran out using the last of it testing the rock. Why are they dying... All my fish, even the oto's are dong well...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok just looked more closely... they are swimming around.. and then they are falling on their sides. The ones on their sides are actually moving their mouths and legs.... Also none of them are going opaque like dying shrimp in the past..They are all clear.. well blue clear...
Also I don't dose, no CO2... There is already and air stone.... The substrate is silica sand... I did stir it up though... Should I preform a waterchange?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You may well have stirred up enough mulm to create an ammonia spike in the tank. Hard to tell without a test though. The temperature isn't overly high? CO2 injection going strong, if you have it in this tank?

In any case, a careful, sizeable water change couldn't hurt at this point. You could even move the affected shrimp to a separate container with fresh water at the right temp to see if they recover.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may well have stirred up enough mulm to create an ammonia spike in the tank. Hard to tell without a test though. The temperature isn't overly high? CO2 injection going strong, if you have it in this tank?

In any case, a careful, sizeable water change couldn't hurt at this point. You could even move the affected shrimp to a separate container with fresh water at the right temp to see if they recover.
I'll add some prime and do a water change... see if anything improves... The temp is 82, and theres no CO2.,.. I haven't added it to my tank yet.....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did a 60% water change... and removed what ones I could catch... they all jump and swim away and hide when the net or hose gets near... still on their sides... We will see if they make it or not... I have no idea what couldve done this..

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always a good idea to Prime your tank after moving stuff around.
I did though.. I did a water change a quick vaccum of the sand.. and then added prime along with the new water... and a little extra after i was done...
I did another water change just in case.... so far no improvement.. only one has died... but the rest are still the same... I can see 5 that arent in my plants... All the fish are fine, and theres 2 shrimp that seem completely un affected. they are swimming around and eating normally

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
82 is a pretty high temp for them. Without the water parms, it definately is hard to try to diagnose anything. If you did encounter an ammonia spike with that high of a temp, it will be very hard on the shrimpies.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
82 isnt high for Neos. I am almost sure that you probably released ammonia when you rescaped. Give it a day or two and they will bounce back.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
82 isnt high for Neos. I am almost sure that you probably released ammonia when you rescaped. Give it a day or two and they will bounce back.
Thats good, they are in 82 pretty much everyday lol... Well the water changed helped a few of them. Whatever it was (pretty sure it was ammonia too) seems to have passed... unfortunately so far I've 7 deaths out of the 15 shrimp in the tank. Im hoping that theres a few more still recovering in the plants... I do know that there is for sure 3 survivors..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts