The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that RCS, blue pearls and yellows are all basically the same shrimp but different colors. Recently, I had a yellow baby develop from the blue pearls!

So if I take this guy/gal out and take a few of my yellows out and put them together, what should happen?

This is what they normally look like:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your asking what would happen if you put a yellow that had blue pearl parent in with regular yellow? Your yellows genetic diversity would go up a bit which is generally a good thing. However, your yellows would probably start to throw some random blues... which is generally not a good thing. Might effect the yellows color in a bad way too.

If you have both yellows and blue pearls already, I think its more likely that a micro baby hitched a ride on a net or plant or water or rock, etc, into your BP tank. There isen't really anything constructive you can do with it if it is a spontanious mutation. If your convinced it is from the BPs, and you wanted to try something fun though, you could move it with some BPs into their own tank and try and get more yellow F1s, then at that point you could take out the BPs and leave only your home breed yellows in their own tank.
Theoretically you could keep culling the blue offspring and keep the yellows and after a number of generations you might have yellows that breed true again. Most likely they would be %99.9 the same as your other yellows that you bought, but at that point you would have your own "strain" of yellows. Then when strains of yellow are cross breed back, it would increase the genetic diversity and therefore the hardyness of those yellows.
It would be alot of work for not much of a result, especially considering yellows arn't known for being heavily inbreed already, so they dont need bump in diversity... If we were talking CRS though, now theres a variety that could use a bump in diversity.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am asking if I put the yellow baby in a tank with other yellows, would they start producing yellows with a recessive or dominant blue gene.

No way that a baby hitched a ride. All the tanks have their own equipment to avoid the spread of any potential diseases and the tanks are on different floors. No plants were ever shared to either tank, all plants came from the 55 gallon. When I do take plants from the 55 (which only has macroshrimp), I disinfect them thoroughly and rinse well.

So, this little guy was 100% definitely born from blue parents. I'm going to fish him out and add him to another tank and fish out a few yellows from my other tank and see what happens. I want to see what happens. After all, isn't this kind of how cherries, yellows and blues came about? This will be a fun project.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Your yellows, looks more to be a green, which can happen with blue pearls. Breed him out, and get it to breed true. lol

I am not sure what would be dominant, however, you could possibly end up with wild types at some point in the generations.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I get amber/yellowish ones pop up all the time but they never mature yellow. I'm guessing it's just a juvie thing in my tank since I've never found an adult yellow. However yours looks mature so IDK... they might produce brown offspring if you put them together because yellows and blue pearls belong to the same genus but different species. The genes responsible for the same color in both shrimp may actually be different genes which would lead to complementation when hybridized resulting in browns. It's the same idea when you mix rcs and yellows except they have different colors -- you don't get orange shrimp from those 2 ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, but I would still say cross it back with blues, theres no way to know if its a spontanious mutation in that shrimp or if it was something that was passed on from your BPs. best way (since your sure its from the BPs) to stabalize it, or at least get more of them, would be to cross it back with the blues that made it that color to begin with. Odds of getting another one are greater, then you cross the two together. then their offsping together, then their offspring together. untill you get what your looking for. this is how new colors are breed out. Depending on how long it takes to stabalize it, the more inbreed/sensitive they become. Not saying you cant cross it with yellows... would just be for fun though, no real objective there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi :red_mouth

I had blue pearl female with no male ( the pearl shrimp is rare around here) so I let her live with yellow shrimp and she gave birth to dozens of shrimplets in a short period
my yellow shrimp aquarium almost turns brown completely in few several weeks .
The offsprings are light brown or honey color and honestly not so pretty...
Sometimes they look little more yellow and sometimes brown .
I dig them out from my yellow shrimp aquarium in the last couple of weeks and moving them to the other small aquarium before they will start breeding with other yellows..
Since then I managed to get another pearl and now they live separate from the yellow's .. :proud:

Here 2 videos I made of those hybrids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVAGvyfPXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPvjtJ_0pQ&feature=related

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yep, mixing the various breeds of a species of shrimp tends to result in the offspring being closer to the wild type of that species. Since these shrimp aren't that far removed from the wild type, genetically speaking, the reversion to wild form is quite strong.

It's typically interspecies hybrids (which we don't really see in these shrimp) that wind up being more or less intermediates between the parents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts