The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody,

I just started up a couple tanks after years away from the hobby. Glad to have my nature aquariums up and running once again! Anyways, I'm starting to breed these incredible shrimp and wanted to share a couple pictures of them with you all. Once the colony is going I will be selling them (I will also have BKK and some blue bolts), so please PM if you would like some in a few months. Water conditions are similar to other Taiwan bees, 6.4 pH, 110 TDS, 1-2 KH, 4-5 GH, 70-72*F. Enjoy the pics!

Cheers!

Jared

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I love these guys but my water is not ideal for them. Nice shrimp!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea my sand is inert. I use remineralized deionized water and some other pH buffering methods to maintain a low pH and specific KH GH and TDS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mind sharing your buffering method?
My substrate is losing its buffering effect after just 1 year and would like to go inert if it's better long term.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I breed some of my taitibees and mischlings on inert substrate. I like to use leaf littler, alder cones, and driftwood to naturally lower pH with tannic acid. Sphagnum or peet in the filter will help too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I breed some of my taitibees and mischlings on inert substrate. I like to use leaf littler, alder cones, and driftwood to naturally lower pH with tannic acid. Sphagnum or peet in the filter will help too.
Ohh right! I forgot about peat moss.
Is there a specific amount of peat per gallon to get the desired pH level or does it vary from each batch?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure, I use a small amount of driftwood, Indian almond leaves, and alder cones within the tank. The shrimp love all the biofilm on driftwood, especially, so I would absolutely suggest it, even though the almond leaves and alder cones perform more of the buffering. I do not suggest using peat in the filter, it causes all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I think peat is also unsustainably collected so it's better for us to refrain from using it, cus the environment and stuff.
Pandas are great, probably my favourite type of shrimp, although I prefer the white body more than the blue body, sorry hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think peat is also unsustainably collected so it's better for us to refrain from using it, cus the environment and stuff.
Pandas are great, probably my favourite type of shrimp, although I prefer the white body more than the blue body, sorry hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're correct, it is frequently harvested from unsustainable sources. Almond leaves and alder cones are harvested when they fall, naturally.

Each to their own, I definitely prefer the blue over white, much more unique.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts