The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a species only tank of cherry shrimp a few ramhorn snails. I noticed a small clutter on blueish green eggs laying on the gravel. I scooped them up and placed them in a nylon breeder. Only eggs they can be from are the cherry shrimp, but why would they be this color? I have a berried female with nice yellow eggs on her. Could these eggs not have been fertilized?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I had cherries with blue green eggs... The hatched nicely.. But, since you found yours on the gravel, they're unfertilized... The females should carry them until the babies hatch and she'll literally kick them out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is unusual for cherry shrimp to drop eggs unless they are unfertilized.

If cherry shrimp were hermaphroditic like Lysmata shrimp....they would take over the world! Lysmata shrimp are easy to raise to 1 1/2 months...but then it gets more complicated. Trust me. Can you imagine the sales of a freshwater/brackish cleaner shrimp hybrid? I just thought I'd share the idea. $

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a species only tank of cherry shrimp a few ramhorn snails. I noticed a small clutter on blueish green eggs laying on the gravel. I scooped them up and placed them in a nylon breeder. Only eggs they can be from are the cherry shrimp, but why would they be this color? I have a berried female with nice yellow eggs on her. Could these eggs not have been fertilized?
They're cherry shrimp eggs. I have RCS in my tank that have both bright yellow eggs and also green/brown eggs. They can be both colors and be healthy shrimp. Maybe the eggs that were dropped was a first time young female shrimp. Either way I wouldn't worry about the eggs because cherry shrimp are prolific little critters. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.