The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I peeled this stuff off most of my plants and, boy, the smell consumed my house! :sick: This is a quarantine tank been set up for 2 years. The fish in there are doing fine, of course, but if I open the lid, geesh the smell is something to reckon with. I had to burn a candle to help. Just complaining here. I can do a water change to help and clear off the algae. I have no ammonia and just a little nitrate 10ppm. I just can't get over the odor :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
It's actually a bacteria that gets called algae. Be careful, there can be some toxicity issues. Hydrogen peroxide kills it pretty efficiently. I think it's often caused by low flow and high organics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually a bacteria that gets called algae. Be careful, there can be some toxicity issues. Hydrogen peroxide kills it pretty efficiently. I think it's often caused by low flow and high organics.
Thank you! I did not know that ;) I've never had this type in any of my tanks. It's reminds me of BBA, you see a little bit and next thing you know you're tank is engulfed with it. I'm going to work on it today and hit it with peroxide and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts