The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I purchased two blue gourami on Saturday for my 55 gallon tank. The first day they were chasing each other and nipping, but then the second day they seemed to be swimming together- no more nipping or chasing. But it's interesting because every time I look at them, one is following the other as they're swimming peacefully. They sometimes swim around each other and brush by each other gently. But at the same time, I don't know if it gets annoying to the one fish who always has the other one following it. lol. It doesn't look hostile anymore, as I said, but I'm also wondering if their current behavior could also be causing stress. And has anyone else seen their gouramis interact like this? It looks cute, but it seems strange for fish who I've heard of as being either aggressive towards each other or independent of each other.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Blues/three-spots, pearls, opaline and honey gourami will live together as a group and loosely school when they have a set pecking order, or a large enough group that aggression is spread evenly. They're pretty peaceful, considering.

Good chance you had some early territorial dispute that's been mostly worked out. There will always be a potential for standoffs and scuffles, but if it isn't a non-stop or overly violent affair, it's probably OK.

There's also the chance that you have a male and a female - that could lead to some pestering of one by the other.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Swimming around in circles around each other is a courtship of gouramis I've keep and breed golds years ago there a great fish the male sometimes nudges the female to get her to splew her eggs it's an amazing thing to watch anyway there pretty easy to tell apart males have a longer pointed dorsal fin and the females is rounded

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Watch them. They are not very peaceful fish. They are territorial, and can get aggressive.
A 55 is large enough that they could set up separate territories, if they realized it.

Females are very rare in the stores, so I doubt you have any females.

In nature the males set up a bubble nest and defend a territory, and chase away all other fish, including females unless they are ready to breed.
They breed, then he chases her away. He tends the nest, eggs and fry.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've never had a prob buying females in pet shops when I was in nj since I've moved to FL recently I haven't looked but now that u mentioned it I am going to take a peek next time I am at the pet store

1 - 5 of 5 Posts