The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this plant at an auction a while ago and it had blue flowers similar to snapdragons. A fellow member on the forums was also at the auction and said that it would melt before long. The reason he said this was because the stems are like twigs. Very strong and don't seem aquatic at all. Now after being in my tank for about 3-4 months it has grown about 1 foot and the flowers are no longer there. I assume the plant was being grown emersed when it flowered. It is my favorite plant in the tank and I am very curious to see what it is. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Hygrophilia sp.

Could be "Kompact". A better photo and a rough idea on how large the plant is might help.

Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
It looks like giant hygro, don't know the scientific name. if it is it can grow like crazy and you can do just about anything to it.

kara

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe it is Hygrophila corymbosa. Were the flowers a pale purple/bluish color? The flowers would have been just below/above a set of leaves. Mine just flowered in my 55. You have to let it grow to the top of the tank and have some leaves emersed in order to get it to flower again. WARNING: Most of the leaves that are submersed WILL fall off of the stems. Mine was not so bad as I had feared but I have a lot of nutrients in the tank for it to use up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey CAF,
None of the leaves have ever fallen off. I got this plant at the last auction. It was about 3 inches tall and now it is coming out of the top of my 55 gallon. Thanks for the advice on how to get it to flower again. Ill do that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My apologies... I should have stated most of the leaves will fall off once emersed growth begins... I wish you the best of luck in getting your to flower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts