The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for some help on my shrimp colony having some problems.
It's been slowly dying off after a few very successful months where my colony went from 7 to over 60. I had/have several berried females in the last couple of weeks once all those babies entered adulthood, but the last couple of weeks I've noticed one or two dying every day and spotted this rust/copper color around/behind their head. I'm hoping to get some help identifying and treating.

Parameters:
ammonia and nitrite and nitrate are zero (lots of hornwort).
PH is 6.6
KH is 1
GH is 5
Temp is 73
Tank is blue dream shrimp only and some snails.

There's lots of hornwort and some annoying green thread algae.

I remineralize with Seachem Equilibrium and am probably going to switch to salty shrimp, but I doubt that's my core problem right now.
Thanks for the help.

Photos below:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a colony of blue dreams that spit out the occasional red, carbon rili, or chocolate neo. The line isn't 100% stable as far as I know.

I keep my neos in slightly higher pH and kH than you, 7.4 pH and 4-5 kH. water temp 72F.

Usually a slow die off like this is caused by bacterial infections, and if untreated will spread and collapse the entire colony.

Can you provide more information on the deaths? Potential triggers, observations, etc?

I do not want to say it is the water, as neos are very hardy and can acclimate to a wide range of parameters. But it could potentially be because your water is closer to Crystal shrimp parameters and not neos.

Maybe someone with more shrimp knowledge can chime in

Edit: searching "Brown spot disease" returns some potentially relevant information

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I had about 10 blue dream they were doing great and then had about 80 or maybe more but then I started using injected co2 and now I have none so if your using co2 that could be the problem
No CO2 for me.

I have a colony of blue dreams that spit out the occasional red, carbon rili, or chocolate neo. The line isn't 100% stable as far as I know.

I keep my neos in slightly higher pH and kH than you, 7.4 pH and 4-5 kH. water temp 72F.

Usually a slow die off like this is caused by bacterial infections, and if untreated will spread and collapse the entire colony.

Can you provide more information on the deaths? Potential triggers, observations, etc?

I do not want to say it is the water, as neos are very hardy and can acclimate to a wide range of parameters. But it could potentially be because your water is closer to Crystal shrimp parameters and not neos.

Maybe someone with more shrimp knowledge can chime in

Edit: searching "Brown spot disease" returns some potentially relevant information
I did research brown spot disease and they don't have the specific small brown dots that are eating away at their shell like that disease shows.

I'll try to find a safe and generic treatment for bacteria.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Question: Have you done any change in your tank set up?

I once changed my HOB with a sponge filter at the intake with a mini canister filter to use the nice glass intake and lily pipes, and forgot to add some mesh to prevent babies and potential really curious ones from dying at the intake.

Not saying this is your problem, but trying to see if there is anything that changed around the time the casualties started happening.

Another thought, perhaps the introduction of more new shrimp? Or a new plant?

Hope you find some answers so your colony starts thriving again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I am on the same boat as you. My tank is filled with blue neos, some pandas and red wine. Slow die-offs, rust color...the red wines have turned dark wine, one already died sadly. Pandas are alive still. Lost 2 bloody freaking Mary, most pure shrimps I had man.

I started the treatment with oregano oil and h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide). I started yesterday, and while I haven't seen their colors improve yet, they seem more active.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven’t experienced anything like this before but in reading and watching videos, perhaps you could look into how aquarium salt could help.

Basically it is added in low concentration that it would not affect live fish or invertebrates, but it is high enough for parasites and bugs to get dehydrated and this die off your gorgeous creatures.

Take a look, hope you find something useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.