The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my friend today for some CRS and he gave me a few Blue looking black bees that he swears he breeded. I just want to know are these for real these are mutated from his black bees.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think that that shrimp is a wild form of the bee shrimp, and my shrimp also showed a blue tinge, but it is now gone. So it's wild and unacclimated.

But then I have a question. In your bag gabeszone247, there seems to be a blue one in your second picture, while the other ones are nice and black. Why is that? Do only certain shrimp get the blue tinge when in stress?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I think this is a mix between black bee and tiger shrimp. I was hoping it was a new type but after looking at them more, I think they are mix. Oh well!
That isn't a cross just a very stressed out adult bee/black diamond grade C shrimp! It will turn back black after it gets acclimated. as long as it likes your tank and isn't stressed.

looks like a C grade black diamond. No such thing as a blue bee shrimp. haha
Agreed:bounce:

I think that that shrimp is a wild form of the bee shrimp, and my shrimp also showed a blue tinge, but it is now gone. So it's wild and unacclimated.

But then I have a question. In your bag gabeszone247, there seems to be a blue one in your second picture, while the other ones are nice and black. Why is that? Do only certain shrimp get the blue tinge when in stress?
You ever wonder why usually people only sell smaller shrimp? It seems that when the shrimp are younger they either don't get as stressed as easily or they take stress better. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure in my opinion that's why.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You ever wonder why usually people only sell smaller shrimp? It seems that when the shrimp are younger they either don't get as stressed as easily or they take stress better. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure in my opinion that's why.

-Andrew

Yes, but the OTHER blue one I see in Gabeszone's picture show a small bee shrimp that is blue. So is this genetics? Do certain genes trigger blueness when in stress?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yes, but the OTHER blue one I see in Gabeszone's picture show a small bee shrimp that is blue. So is this genetics? Do certain genes trigger blueness when in stress?
Yep It's just how the shrimps are. It has to do with the pigment glands (that the right word? I guess its a "gland"?) When they are stressed they change color like most animals. The "black" of the Bee is probably in actuality a very VERY VERY VERY DARK navy blue so when it gets stressed the color fades and looks blue. But they should not be blue if kept right....

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was told from Robert from shrimpnow that it is indeed stress causes the blue color. Oh well the search will continue for the new breed lol! I traded my friend 10 black bees for ten of his black bees so I could mix up some new DNA. I gave him 10 S grade and I got crap.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'll be getting some of these shortly from a local vendor. The pics are almost the same and I've been told the offspring is true and the same color. It's more of a bluish purple color. I'll get photos up when I get them.
It's usually just stress believe me I've read tons and tons of these types of accounts and they all end up turning back black.

But if they are a different strain, AWESOME!

-Andrew

or, you could be getting purple zebra shrimp...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.