The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a 10 gallon blue crayfish tank. How many can comfortably live in a 10 gallon tank? Also, how long do they typically live?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you're talking about electric blue crays, a 10gal is too small for 1. I would go 20gal per cray and even then you may get fights. They need lots of hiding spots/caves, they will eat any plants in your tank, try and eat fish, snails, shrimp. They will get up to 4-6 inches in size.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah a 10 gallon tank will be too small for it eventually, I bought mine at about 1.5 inches back in the beginning of August and it has molted about 4-5 times since then, and is almost 4 inches long now. A 20 gallon will be fine for 1 at most.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I really do not want to dedicate a 20 to one crayfish. It's not that I do not like species tanks, it's just the fact that I think it may become boring. I have a pair of drarf cajun crays that I seldom see. The thought of adding some shrimp crossed my mind but I abandoned the idea after watching a cray at the LFS repeatedly try to snag a Danio in the same tank.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i breed my orange and white clarkii in 20gal long tank
a pair in 20gal with only driftwood
however i have an experience that i put a breeding pair of white clarkii in 20gal high tank
but male killed female...
so if u want to try to breed them i will say at least 20gal long tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts