The Planted Tank Forum banner

Blue Cherry Eating Amanos?

1186 15
I just got some and they are light blue. I always see them in pictures as transparent or almost white. Are they dyed? I barely remember someone once saying they sometimes turn blue.

Is there any truth to that?

Then I remember a while ago from another store that they told me Amanos eat cherry shrimp. Is that for real?!?!

Has anyone experienced that?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There is no such shrimp as a “Blue Cherry”. Odds are what you have are the artificially colored “Blue Shrimp” that is often sold on auction sites. This shrimp is most often Neocaridina heteropoda. It gets its blue color from either die or some sort of food. This color will not breed true and will often times fade.

There is a very small chance that you have Blue Pearl Shimp, but this shrimp is fairly new to the hobby and most people that are selling it know what it is.

Amano Shrimp will not kill any other Dwarf Shrimp. They will, however, aggressively steel food from smaller shrimp. As long as there is enough food for everybody to eat, this is not a problem!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Interestingly, my amanos turn blue when they're stressed. I've seen it three times. Once, when I initially bought them and they sat in their bag at my desk in my office until I could go home. Second, during a total tank breakdown. Third, last night, when I turned on the light at like 3am and scared the **** out of them. They turn back to their light brown color when they chill out.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no such shrimp as a “Blue Cherry”. Odds are what you have are the artificially colored “Blue Shrimp” that is often sold on auction sites. This shrimp is most often Neocaridina heteropoda. It gets its blue color from either die or some sort of food. This color will not breed true and will often times fade.

There is a very small chance that you have Blue Pearl Shimp, but this shrimp is fairly new to the hobby and most people that are selling it know what it is.

Amano Shrimp will not kill any other Dwarf Shrimp. They will, however, aggressively steel food from smaller shrimp. As long as there is enough food for everybody to eat, this is not a problem!

No I don't mean its a blue cherry, but a Blue Amano that eats cherry shrimp

And lately I heard of some blue Amanos. I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry, I got confused!

Some Amano Shrimp do turn blue from time to time. Like frosty said it is sometimes brought on by stress. Odds are they were stressed out from transport and once they are settled in they will be just fine and go back to the more natural color that you are used to seeing.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Someone once posted a pic of an amano eating a cherry. I don't think it killed the cherry, but it was interesting anyway, since he picked up the entire shrimp and walked off with it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I kept about 15 RCS with 4 medium amanos in a 2 gal tank for about 2 weeks. I even had RCS shrimplets birthed in there, amanos didn't touch any of them. They were cramped in for holding while my main tank cycled. Initially I thought there would be problems, but nope, the amanos left them alone and I kept VERY close watch that entire week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.