The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got these 2 beautiful Amano shrimp from my LFS and was surprised at the coloring. Has anyone else seen Amano shrimp like this?

Why hello there you two!

He likes to hang from my Anubias:

The larger one is an even deeper blue:

What do you think?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered some from msjinkzd just last week that came in deep blue. Apparently it's from eating cladophora algae.
Interesting - so the tank they were in when I purchased had Marimo moss balls in it - I guess that is probably the source of the cladophora. Whatever it is, it makes them beautiful. I guess I have no Marimo so chances are they will change back to normal color soon... Oh well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You just need to get some balls!

I just went out and got some!........ blue amanos that is..:hihi: wakawakawaka!

But seriously, does anyone know what prepared foods contain this "cladophora" algae? I would very much like to keep these colours going...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
"color enhancing" foods containing asthaxanthin will also intensify their colors, but again, only while they are eating the foods.

Most of my amanos are blue because I feed them clado and hair algaes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
thanks for the reply msjinkzd!

The hair algae; is that something you grow yourself at home, or do you buy it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
So cool. If only they had algae that you could feed amanos to make them red. :(
Old thread bump, but one of my Amanos is suddenly red. Not slightly pink, but deep red. It seems to be doing fine, though -- it's eating and moving around normally.

Any idea what could cause this?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I had one turned dark red after it was injured (exoskeleton split). Sort of like a scab, but internal and looking more like pigmentation. I can't see a shrimp surviving a full body version of that, honestly, so who knows? Others turned pink after eating algae I had killed with excel...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts