The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot these pictures a couple of months ago and they aren't the greatest, but I wanted to post them while I remember where I have the files. These are plants that I grew this summer outside in a plastic basin. I have also used them in ripariums.

Ludwigia sp., "primrose willow"--I am unsure of the species for this one. It bloomed prolifically at the end of the summer. I have grown this plant in ripariums, although it seems to do best in natural sunlight.

~

Lippia nodiflora, "frogfruit"--This is a creeping plant with little button-shaped flowers. In Mexico and in Florida I have seen it growing as dense mats near and in the water.

~

Tulbagia violacea, "society garlic"--This plant grows as densly-clumping bulbs. I haven't tried to grow it in displays. It grows rather slowly.

~

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I shot these pictures a couple of months ago and they aren't the greatest, but I wanted to post them while I remember where I have the files. These are plants that I grew this summer outside in a plastic basin. I have also used them in ripariums.

Ludwigia sp., "primrose willow"--I am unsure of the species for this one. It bloomed prolifically at the end of the summer. I have grown this plant in ripariums, although it seems to do best in natural sunlight.

~

Lippia nodiflora, "frogfruit"--This is a creeping plant with little button-shaped flowers. In Mexico and in Florida I have seen it growing as dense mats near and in the water.

~

Tulbagia violacea, "society garlic"--This plant grows as densly-clumping bulbs. I haven't tried to grow it in displays. It grows rather slowly.

~

Pic #2 is very nice. :)

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks well like I say those aren't the best pictures I just wanted to edit, save and post them as documentation of what they look like.

The #2 plant (Lippia nodiflora) is a pretty good riparium plant.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can grow these in the water. They are all semi-aquatic marginals. I had these potted in hydroponics net pots that I situated in an $8 plastic "cement-mixing" bin...

The bin was about 1/2 full of water.

·
Registered
176 Posts
help!

You can grow these in the water. They are all semi-aquatic marginals. I had these potted in hydroponics net pots that I situated in an $8 plastic "cement-mixing" bin...

The bin was about 1/2 full of water.
I am starting a 20g riparium and am looking for plants. Would you be interested in selling me a "starter" pack? If not, can you give me the names of maybe 6-10 small size plants, preferably that are grasses and ones that flower.
Thank You,
Tim

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much Tex Gal!

I wish that I had gotten better pictures of these flowers. I have a Lippia nodiflora going pretty good in a tank right now so I might see more blooms from it.

My little Staurogyne has cute little flowers on it now and I might return with a picture later on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts