The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Staurogyne sp. plant has flowers on it. The first opened a few days ago.

I got this plant in trade from zeek21. It was not difficult to transition it to emersed growth. The leaves are actually pretty sturdy so I just planted the plant in a riparium planter and put it in a tank.

Staurogyne is in Family Acanthaceae, so the flowers are borne on a spike with a prominent bract beneath each bloom. If you click fo rthe full-sized picture below you can see the pointy green bracts. The flowers are also lipped and resemble those of plants in the mint family.

I have this one going in my 20-gallon with a bunch of other stems.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Very nice. You seem to be having quite a bit of success growing a multitude of species with the riparium setups. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
This is the 'low grow', right? Looks like it is. I saw a specimen of the stuff Tropica sells and the flowers are quite a bit larger.

Not all species in Acanthaceae grow terminal spikes. Most Hygrophila grow flowers at the nodes (H. polysperma and 'tiger' grows spikes). In fact, some Staurogyne, like 'low grow' will grow a bit of both.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not get any variety information with this plant. "Low grow" sounds good, although I wouldn't want to call it that without growing it underwater and comparing to the stuff that other people call "low grow".

For the flowering habit I was just thinking of some of the familiar Acanthaceae that come to mind, such as Justicia and my grandma's acanthus plant. This plant did have flower buds at the leaf nodes too which you can see in those pictures.

I worried about the plant petering out after blooming--it looks like it could do that--so I chopped off the top and cut off the buds. I hope that I can get the cutting to root.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts