The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People keep saying that BM are more red than PFR, but I don't really see it. Anyone have input on this?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think they're just a little darker red, at least that's how it was sold to me, here's a pic of some different shades of RCS in my tank, see if you can tell which is which.

Ignore the purple-ish/burgundy one on the left, that's an oddball

For contrast here's one of my old regular PFRs

Another Sakura-ish PFR (slightly translucent)

Bloody marry in my mind is the black-ish red, almost like that cardinal on the right in the pic

In the end people will call it whatever they want to, ask for a pic before you buy anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bloody marry in my mind is the black-ish red, almost like that cardinal on the right in the pic
Sorry for the OT. You have cardinal's in with neo's. Are they doing well together? Breeding? What tank params? I've always wanted to add cardinals to my neo tank but everyone says the temp and pH are too different.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Define "more red". I own both and both can have great red colors at the highest and strongest form.

I know that both are just neo's but the BM stands out to me more due to the transparency red of the body compared to the red of the PFR shell. And if I had to be more critical I feel that the PFR has a more milky deep red vs. a pure simple red of the BM (think Caridina dennerli)

Maybe if I have time I can try to grab one of my pfr and take a pix next to a bm just for comparison.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Sorry for the OT. You have cardinal's in with neo's. Are they doing well together? Breeding? What tank params? I've always wanted to add cardinals to my neo tank but everyone says the temp and pH are too different.
(Off-Topic)

That was an old tank which I messed up (temp too low), but I'm planning another neo+cardinal setup. Yes they will do well and breed, the biggest requirement is temperature of 80F-84F (pref 84F), this will slow down the neos, but they will still breed.

pH/GH/KH aren't as important, so long as you have pH 7+ and TDS around 100-400, only the temp range is non-negotiable. You *need* to find a tank-bred source preferably closer to neutral parameters, if you get them directly out of Lake Matano you'll have maybe ~90% casualties off the bat. I'd recommend a 30 gallon+, parameter variations are a no-no for cardinals (even worse than the most sensitive of TBs), keep water changes minimal, 10% max, recommend only topping off in mature tank.

Also C. dennerli exhibits different colorations of red ranging from classic cherry red to darker red (what I think of Bloody Mary anyway), i.e.

I don't think anyone's really sure what bloody mary red really is tho, just ask for pics and get the shade you like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts