The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like painted fire to me. Bloody Mary has translucent shell and body, almost look like a ruby stone kind of look.

But... it seems to me as they grow old or breed they may change, I got a batch of great Bloody Mary 6 months back, and a couple (not sure original or grown up babies) have became painted red like the above.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Typically, Bloody Marys have transluscent shells with red insides. Yours look like Painted fire reds. Either way, they look healthy and seem to have a good amount of algae to eat :)

40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, thanks. I think I kinda got scammed. Paid much more for a bloody mary shrimp. Oh well, they look really nice. Does it matter if I get bloody mary shrimp to add to the tank? Would the crossbreed look bad?

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Oh, thanks. I think I kinda got scammed. Paid much more for a bloody mary shrimp. Oh well, they look really nice. Does it matter if I get bloody mary shrimp to add to the tank? Would the crossbreed look bad?
They're both Neocaridina davidi. Same species. Just different colors. So they would breed. There's no real cross. If anything, it'd be a way to make your offspring look better. I probably wouldn't do it because I don't want to get things mixed up. If it's what you want? Do it. Because you won't be creating some sort of hybrid or anything - just muddling the coloration gene pool that's been isolated to produce certain traits.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
In all honesty, it is hard to get a good picture of a bloody mary. Their colors just don't come through well!

And I also refuse to buy bloody mary without seeing them first.... unless the seller can take great pictures that show that they are truly bloody mary.

That said, I haven't actually had any luck with them....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never done this cross, but not long after I got into shrimp I looked into it. I found a breeder that had crossed PFRxBM and created an intensely red shrimp, it escapes me what she called them lol. But I did read that it took her a couple of years and quite a bit of culling in the beginning, how much? Not sure, but if you wanna put in the work I say go for it. But I'm with somewhatshocked, I probably wouldn't do it either lol, if you choose to though, let us know.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I've never done this cross, but not long after I got into shrimp I looked into it. I found a breeder that had crossed PFRxBM and created an intensely red shrimp, it escapes me what she called them lol. But I did read that did say it took her a couple of years and quite a bit of culling in the beginning, how much? Not sure, but if you wanna put in the work I say go for it. But I'm with somewhatshocked, I probably wouldn't do it either lol, if you choose to though, let us know.
Savage Reds........ Lindsay Savage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts