The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I have been watching a lot of videos with people who have Bloodfin Tetras... From what I understand, they are supposed to be pretty active schooling fish. Pretty nice colors too. Sadly my LFS was out of them recently.

I am thinking about adding a good sized school of them to my 55... say 10-15? I have always been a Neon tetra guy though. What do you guys think? Should I have a school of 10-15 Neons and 10-15 Bloodfins, or just Bloodfins by themselves with another schooling fish?

Are they tighter schooling than Neons? Because every video I've seen they were tightly following each other around while all the Neons were all spread out everywhere.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
They are WAY tighter than Neons. I had 25 in my 75 gallon. The more there are the better they school. I love them.
Don't let my 1 post count fool you. I've been on here for 9 years. After the password reset I can't get into my other account. If you do a search you will find my journals (The Dude ) and pics of my Bloodfins in with Angels and Rams in my older 75 gallon

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah and one million times more active than Neon's. They are far more likely to also jump, but their energy level is excellent. They also do well mixed with Neon's as I tend to find my Neon's like to hang in the bottom 1/2 of the tank while the bloodfins are more likely to be in the top 1/2. They do intermingle in the middle.

I find them to chase each other around and huddle together much more closely than Neon tetras. Talking to some of the Petsmart people around here, Bloodfins are growing massively in popularity in this area (Then again it seems not many people carry much variety). They say when they order Bloodfins on Tuesday they sell them out by Thursday. Granted they are selling them at $1 to $1.5 per.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are worried about them jumping, I would get some old window screen sheeting and place it on top of your aquarium it'll provide you with some nice cover to keep the fish from jumping and be cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts