The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted opions on this fish. i saw some at my LFS and thought about getting some. well the more reading I did the more i am confused. Just wanted to know if anyone has any and what their opion is on them.

thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have some in my tank now and have them for years, I also have friends that have them. This is our experience:

1. They can get pretty big, like 9"+.
2. Their color varies, from red to deep orange to pale orange.
3. Have 8 of them over the years, only one was really aggressive (he was traded to a LFS and now lives and dominates a pair of 10"+ Oscars), rest are pretty peaceful. My biggest BP now is almost 10" and he is a total pushover.
4. They can be very interactive. Mine let me pad them, and always the first at feeding.
5. Not picky with food at all, but eat a lot. Like vege, I feed them spinach, pea etc.,
6. Not plants friendly except plants with big leaves, even then, they do dig a lot. So your amazon swords may end up floating.

Compatabilities:
My own experience-
1. I have mine living with Frontosa, they seems to enjoy each other's company. Never any confrontations. There are 4 fronts now from 2.5" to 9". with 4 BPs from 5" to 10".
2. As my BPs grow bigger, they are less tolerate of smaller dithers. My Buenas Aires Tetra disappeared one by one. Both Fronts and BPs hunted them. That say, I do have 2.5" cories in the same tank and doing great.

My Friends' experience:
1. One friend is keeping his BP with over 30 Mbunas (from fry to 4" matured ones) in his 5' tank. This BP grew from 3" to 6" in about a year. Very hard water but his BP is showing nice deep orange color.
2. Another friend is keeping 2 BPs, both about 5" in his community tank with Pearl gouramis, dwarf Gourmis, life bearers etc., Water is a lot softer. The BPs are very pale orange.

So these bite-less wonders can be kept with a wide range of other fishes, and kids and ladies generally love them for their goofy looks. Die hard cichlids purists HATE them because they happened to be hybrids created in some Asian countries.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
They're a man made hybrid of a bunch of cichlids.. That's why they look so funny/odd. Don't keep them with aggressive fish because of their deformities, they can't compete for food etc..

They're like the fancy goldfish of the cichlid world.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. thanks for all your help. i saw them and just thought they were the cutest and oddest looking fish. what size tank do you have them in? reading what i could on them they say a 40 gallon is ok for 2. I have a 56 gallon and was thinking of getting 2. I will have to rehome my my angels but that just means i can get a new tank (ya me ;0) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.