The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our tank seems to be pretty harmonious. We have 3 GLOfish Danios, 3 GLOfish Tetras, a Rainbow Shark, two ghost shrimps (still new haven't come out from the rock cave area, a Chinese Algae Eater, and a Pool Comet that is going to be transferred outdoors in about two months from now. And then we have the Blood Parrot.

He was at our local Meijer's, and they had him listed poorly, and he actually has a properly formed mouth (can close and all), so we snagged him. He's fairly shy right now, and if he sees me coming near the tank he goes and hides under the rocks in "his" corner of the tank. I do have some questions about them though. He really likes to harass the Comet, though I'm not too worried, but I have a feeling he ate our other Danio (We had 4 two days ago, down to 3). We've had him for about 3 months though, so I don't know what really happened to the other danio unless he committed suicide after the tank being reorganized, and got eaten by the cat or what.

How big do these guys get? He's currently in a 40g Long. When the comet leaves the only truly large fish will be the Rainbow Shark and him. Is he going to outgrow this tank? He does seem fairly happy as long as I'm watching from afar. He swims around quite a bit, eats the food we got for him, and doesn't even bother the fish minus the comet. Which is why I'm assuming the one Danio jumped out.

How long does it take for them to get over the skiddish phase? He was getting better about it, though I know the tank organization change scared him a bit, though he really likes the new home I made for him on his corner of the tank.

Are these guys supposed to be "aggressive"? We mostly picked him up cause we felt about him living in Meijer's insanely over crowded and poorly taken care of tanks, and he's doing wonderfully. Even gets along with the Rainbow Shark very well.

Any other things I should know about this guy?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine took awhile to get over that skittish phase, now he runs the tank. They get huge too. We got ours pretty early into the hobby, not knowing much about either fish or plants.

He's also really personable. Even though I can't keep shrimp or small fish with him (he will eat them), we just can't see ourselves selling him back to the LFS or anything.
I've got him in a moderately planted tank, so if you have no plants, add some.
Mine is like a dog, lol. He knows when it's time to eat and gets all excited. If I put my face to the glass he will swim from the other side of the tank to be close. He also nips a bit when I'm planting.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't really seem to care much about the glo zebras or tetras. So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that our own committed suicide and became cat food :icon_sad:.

I can't wait to see his personality develop more. He's really quite a beautiful one, very moderate looking Parrot. We actually do have two ghost shrimps, but they hang out in the Rainbow Shark's little cave, and no one really seems to bother them. Our Rainbow shark as developed a wonderful personality, despite getting Anchor worms taken out of him while on a plate on the kitchen counter a year ago, so that makes me hopeful that he will start to get used to us coming up to the tank.

We just very recently got into live plants, and have a handful of moss in the tank, a wysteria, and a few others that I don't know the name of. We also just recently ordered a few more!

How big is yours? Is the 40L going to handle him once he gets larger?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Blood parrots are hybrid cichlids, and not really a community type fish unless you like to watch the world burn per say haha :)

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I have 2 adults and 2 juveniles in a 75g and it's pushing it a bit. Parrots are pretty hefty fish, ny adults pushing 6"+ long 3"+ wide. I have never seen them bother other fish in the tank: cories, a pleco, black neons, and black Mollies. They bicker amongst themselves but never with any damage. I kept mine busy by giving them 2 flower pots for the 4 of them which makes them play "king of the hill" all the time, except when eating.

Mine like sinking pellets, the shrimp ones being the favorite. They do poop proportionally to their size.

Very personable fish, they watch what's going on outside the tank, lining up at the usual feeding corner at meal times and follow me from one side of the tank to the other. They are still skittish: a sudden movement will send them swimming into the tank's sides. Our dog sticks his nose right against the tank to watch them scoot. They follow my hands in the tank, pushing me away if I get too close to their spots.

They are safe with plants as long as THEY like their location. They will literally move a plant to a different spot if it gets in their way. Couple of times they moved one half of the tank (including substrate and everything) from one side to the other overnight when I did some rearranging. Once they like the tank's layout, they leave the plants and hardscape alone.

Just never ending Soap Opera :)

v3

Edit:

A year ago, before I gassed 2 of 4 of my adults :(

2 years ago:

December 2011:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are still in debates at the moment as far as keeping him goes. He is fairly gentle, though if more Tetras go, we might exchange him. He really is quite beautiful though. I did see him going after one of the Zebras, though the Zebra out ran him with no problem. We went to a new fish store tonight, with some fairly knowledgeable people that helped us out with learning about how to take care of the plants properly, and picked up four neon tetras real cheap. I just really want the shrimp to start swimming around more. I know the Rainbow Shark doesn't care about them, but the Cichlid seemed quite interested.

We feed a variety of things, but he just doesn't seem to care much for anything. I saw him spit out a shrimp pellet and go after the zebra. So we are going to see how it goes. He's been here for almost 3 months, but I notice he's starting to get more bold.

Meijer's had him listed as a Parrot Goldfish. We knew he wasn't, but regardless, can't imagine a little kid coming home with one thinking that it's a goldfish...

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Uh, if they sold you 4 neons, I am not sure how much I would listen to their advise. You also seem to have 3 of these and 3 of that schooling fish when 6 should be the minimum and 12+ even better.

Any smart shrimp that wants to live amongst fishes would spent most of its time hiding, not swimming around.

Parrots are very sociable fish and do better in 2+ groups.

Chinese Algae Eaters are some of the meanest fish I have ever kept: an adult going on a killing rampage is not unheard of.

v3

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
One of my close friends has a 125 with two blood parrots, neons, cardinals and other small fish.

Now her parrots don't bother the smaller fish, but her tanks also rather large, and has a lot of hiding places from the parrots.

Either way a 40 gallon wont be big enough for one, these things get massive.

We had someone abandon one at work once, it was in a small kiddy bucket, larger diameter then a normal 5 gallon paint bucket.

This poor fish couldn't even turn around he was so large. I'm pretty sure he was as big as my head.

Our nets where not even big enough to get him out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Uh, if they sold you 4 neons, I am not sure how much I would listen to their advise. You also seem to have 3 of these and 3 of that schooling fish when 6 should be the minimum and 12+ even better.

Any smart shrimp that wants to live amongst fishes would spent most of its time hiding, not swimming around.

Parrots are very sociable fish and do better in 2+ groups.

Chinese Algae Eaters are some of the meanest fish I have ever kept: an adult going on a killing rampage is not unheard of.

v3
We are getting more neons tomorrow lol. They were way past closing time, so we are going to be filling out our numbers better when we are both off from work tomorrow. The Parrot was in a tank at Meijer's labled "Parrot Goldfish", but to be honest, we had our suspicions it was a Cichlid, but the poor guy looked absolutely miserable.

I'm not the most experienced fish person so please go easy on me. My BF is the experienced one and he knows what he's doing for the most part, but I'm still trying to learn. We are filling out our numbers tomorrow, but we didn't want to push it since the Parrot was starting to go after the little guys. Aside from the Rainbow Shark and the Algae Eater (both are almost two years old), it's mostly been a tank for growing baby Koi and comets until they are big enough to go in the pond, especially if we come across nice ones in the late fall. The guy gave us 4 Tetras, but knows we are coming back for more tomorrow. We are planning on getting a handful more danios (get the numbers up to around 8/9), about 10 more Neons, and we are going to go from there.

I'm trying, I really am. :/

On a side note, our Chinese Algae Eater, really hasn't shown much aggression at all since we got him ~2 years ago. We seem to get lucky with fish temperaments, the Rainbow Shark is really quite gentle as well.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my close friends has a 125 with two blood parrots, neons, cardinals and other small fish.

Now her parrots don't bother the smaller fish, but her tanks also rather large, and has a lot of hiding places from the parrots.

Either way a 40 gallon wont be big enough for one, these things get massive.

We had someone abandon one at work once, it was in a small kiddy bucket, larger diameter then a normal 5 gallon paint bucket.

This poor fish couldn't even turn around he was so large. I'm pretty sure he was as big as my head.

Our nets where not even big enough to get him out.
TBH we were blind when we picked up the guy, we mostly felt sorry for him in the overcrowded Meijer tank. We are going to call the place tomorrow and see if we can't donate him or something similar. We are picking up more tetras anyway, so figured it can't hurt to ask. He really is a beautiful fish, but I'm fairly certain he's not the right fit. He did finally show a little bit of personality when I was putting the Tablets into the gravel. Came out of his corner and watched. He swims around a lot if I watch from afar, but if we get close, he disappears. He actually gets along with the Rainbow quite well, but being how he gets so big, I think it's unfair for him to be kept in a tank the size we have.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, it's probably not big enough. Maybe if it was just him in there.
Mine like the sinking pellets too. I feed mine the Hikari ones as a staple food.

Strangely enough, he leaves the otos alone. I've watched him attack my amanos before.
They're no longer in the tank.

OVT is spot on about the digging.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They move around quite a lot around the rock structure we have on the left. They are fascinating to watch as the feed. The area is fairly protected from the larger fish, but you can see them from the front and side of the tank. They are amanos:)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we are going to try and see if the LFS will take the guy. He's in excellent shape, very healthy, not deformed, can close mouth, etc. Not only does he not really fit in well with the tank, but I think he will be happier growing up in a larger tank fit for him.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one has quarantine trade-in tanks open until at least Monday, but to be honest just watchin him closely over the last two days, he doesn't really seem to care much about the Tetras. The tetras and the Danios have been sitting in his cave, and all he cares about is the Comet, which is about the same size as him, and fast. So I don't know. I feel bad about trading him, though my BF wants too. He's absolutely beautiful.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
The Comet is going outside soon. He is very unlikely to do any damage to anything. They are truly water puppies.

v3

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Comet is going outside soon. He is very unlikely to do any damage to anything. They are truly water puppies.

v3
Yeah thats what we are thinking will happen. And hoping. We just picked up 8 more Neons, 6 Danios and a few more of the GLO Tetras. We have more plants coming soon-along with a new dual lamp T5 fixture! The Comet is also MUCH larger then he is right now, which is why I don't worry. With the winter we've been having, he's going to be inside until May. I don't know we'll see how it goes.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Might want to drop in a cheapo sponge filter as you have some serious bio load going. PM me if you want some free plants.

v3

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Might want to drop in a cheapo sponge filter as you have some serious bio load going. PM me if you want some free plants.

v3
What do the sponge filters do? At the moment we just have a Biowheel 200, and an undergravel filter system.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Provide extra filtration and oxygenation. Commonly used by LFS and shrimpers.

v3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts