The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a two part concern. I'm worried that my overflow weirs may become blocked and overflow the tank. I recently made two changes and am experiencing some extra "gurgling" noises.

1. I added Rotala to the corner of the tank fairly close to 1 of the 2 overflows. It has grown like a weed and gets very close to the overflow weirs. I trim it back but will be unable to keep up with it daily. The small leaves seem to like to lodge in the weirs. I'm assuming if some of the weirs get blocked the water level will just rise until water enters the overflow? It has about 2 inches before the top of the tank. Is this someithing to worry about?

2. To minimize CO2 loss I sealed the top, open area of the overflows with a piece of acrylic. The gurgling happens when the air hole on the Durso standpipe is blocked. I was thinking of just drilling a small hole in the acrylic so it doesn't block that hole. When I scoot the acrylic off the standpipe the gurgling stops. Does the overflow need an open top or does it wet enough air just through the weirs?

Here's some pics. The Rotala has doubled. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
860 Posts
the siphon still needs to suck in air or u will get a lot of noise.. it will get the air somehow.. if the overflow is sealed it'll pull air in from the overflow.

Ditto

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.