The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin, Thank you for any advice in advance.

I have a well established 75 Gallon planted tank. I had done a major re-scape and in the mean time put my pleco and turtle back into a 20 Gal. They were in the 20 Gal for about 6 days. In the 20 Gal I was only running a Fluval 110 gal HOB filter. I fear this was not enough filtration as my Clown Pleco now appears bloated and had lost A LOT of color (one side becoming almost completely white).

Upon placing them back into the 75G, the pleco has regained much of its color but still remains bloated. Obviously the turtle is much more resistant to poor filtration since he can get out of the water and bask under a heat lamp for long periods of time. The pleco now seems healthy and lively and is still slowly recovering its color. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with the bloating.

Is it possible the bloating is simply from constipation, or could there be a more critical underlying problem requiring medication?

I will try to feed skinned peas or epsom salt. Anything else I can do outside of these two methods?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Picture? I just dealt with some very bad bloat in some of my congo tetras. What I did was place them into a 10 gallon and added 2 tablespoons of epsom salt and it got everything out of their system. I have to do a water change tomorrow though, and then I'll keep them in said 10 for another week (or less) to be 100% sure that they are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to get a pic, but if you only know one thing about pleco's it's that they are rarely ever seen.

If I do epsom salt in a 20 gal, should I double the dose to 4 tbl spns?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I woke up this morning and saw the pleco pooping before I had a chance to try the epsom salts. Does this eliminate constipation as the root cause for the bloating?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts