The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was reading about bleach dipping to get rid of snails and had a few questions. I am getting a shipment of marselia (believed to be hirsuta, could be quadrofolia) that may or may not contain MTS, and I fear that they may take over my tank, so I wanted to do a 1:20 bleach dip for 2-3 minutes. My question is, can Marselia take the treatment? What would be a good dipping time? I did a search and found lots of yays and lots of nays but they were just general comments, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with marselia in particular? Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Tried it this weekend and dumped what little I had, didn't take long, was a pretty weak plant for me anyway. Bleach dip is pretty much a last resort IMO anyway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh, I'm an idiot ;)

So I guess I could just leave the marselia in a lit bowl and pick off the snails. lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try qt-ing your plants with vinegar for future references.

·
Registered
400 Posts
MTS are pretty strong little snails too......

I dont even know if a bleach dip would hurt all of them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
It should be no problem to rid plants of MTS. They practice live birth and don't lay eggs, and they drop off of plants at the slightest disburbance. Even a 1% bleach solution will make all other snails (pond snails, ramshorns, etc. drop off, but the problem is that these snails lay eggs that are protected from the bleach such that only a prolonged bleach treatment will kill them, and that will be so prolonged that it will kill the plant too.

MTS have a little door that closes their shell when they pull in, and this door protects them from bleach for a very long period of time. However, they fall off of plants when disturbed. and don't hang on.

Marselia is a tough little plant and very resistant to damage by bleach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts