The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been like that for 6months, I'm wondering if that's as big as all those plants are going to get
That anubias has been in my tanks for 2 years and split many many times but it's never done stems, just more leaves

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmmm six months is a lot of time in fish tank world. im kinda surprised your swords don't look like nyc skyscrapers. do you run co2 and how is your fertilizers? well the stem is before the leafy part, my anubias stems got a little longer instead of staying short and bushy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried CO2 with the fluval kit...that never worked
Now I'm using Excel about once every 3 days
Wanting to get a GLA CCO2 kit, but work says I'm might be moving countries soon
I do 10-25% daily water changes (depending on my energy level)
And I aim for a 50% weekly

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The best way to diffuse CO2 is with a little pump powered cyclone diffuser as far as I know. I guess you could also buy one of those in-line CO2 diffusers but they are rather expensive. It can be as simple as adding some air line with a bubbler stone on the end, or as complex as fully automated inline CO2 running off a tank with a PH controller. It just depends on how much cash you have to throw at it.
To start I would go DIY CO2 with a 2-liter bottle and a little bubbler stone. You can always pick up a cyclone diffuser later or make one yourself if you are on a tight budget. There is no chance you can cause a problem with too much CO2 on a tank that size if you just have DIY and a bubbler, but once you get a more efficient diffuser you will need to keep your eye on the PH. Depending on your water hardness it could barely effect the PH or swing it wildly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been spending most of the morning on DIY CO2 research (more important than work lol)
It sounds like to even make a difference in a 60 gallon, i need at least 4 2 Liters
2 with 2 backups
The consensus I seem to be finding is that when you get past 40g is that pressurized will save time and money in the long run
That sound about right?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What I've been doing

Concelor,

How old are the Red Tiger Sprouts?
Do you have recent dGH/dKH values from this tank?

If water is hard might have to up CO2/light lumen level to fatten up that Red Tiger.

Invest in an CO2 dosing indicator, a gooseneck spotlight to concentrate light on those leaves and fatten them up and lower pwrhead deeper into tank(from looking at top left of picture it seems you already have one)

I would place a glass diffuser under the pwrhead if you are using a pressurized setup. I also place pwrhead nozzle flow down and towards glass to reduce diatoms/algea buildup.

Here's my bamboo shrimp on the lower red leaf.

Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.