The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the deal:

I just picked up the last fish tank I'll purchase as a college student.

It will house my two CPO crayfish. Nothing else other than snails, and those may just turn into food.

The size? One gallon. Wait! Oh I know. One gallon won't house two Crays well.

Actually, I believe it would, but they fight like North and South Koreans.

While browsing Deep Blue Professional tanks, I kinda fell in love with the 1 gallon tall with a divider in the middle.

Solves my problem perfectly, right?!

View attachment 59418

Pardon the clutter.. When I'm home from college, I've got two rooms jammed Into one.

So I'm just going to use the rest of my Fluval Shrimp Stratum. I know some people don't like it, but I love it for everything but planting.

I was looking for input on how to keep it as low tech as humanly possible.

I may not even light it up to be honest. I want them to be comfortable, and I want it to be as natural as possible for them.

Thanks!

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i know my virile crays dont care for anything in their way when it come to sifting he sand for food. so, float some hornwort and moss if your crays dont destroy it. either that or you could get some riparium plants and a couple hanging baskets.. bubble stones under the roots and stick that sucker by a window.. bam low tech.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bubble stones under the roots and stick that sucker by a window.. bam low tech.
Love it. My Crays don't eat my moss, but I'm nearly fresh out. I may have to do a custom order. What mosses tolerate the lowest light?

I'm thinking really small sponge filter over just air stones.

Get some driftwood in there too.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most mosses as far as I know.. I found flame moss growing quite well in the wet sand of a torn down tank some weeks later. Susswassertang? That stuff melted on me but some people swear by it.
Yeah those are decent choices. I may be looking at more mini selections though.

I probably won't update this for a while, as all my aquascaping materials are at school.

·
Super Moderator
17,174 Posts
Why not just get some cheap Java or Mixed Moss if you want to be cheap and low-tech?

Since you have more vertical space than horizontal, you could consider a couple cool pieces of driftwood or manzanita in each section. Super glue some chunks of moss on the wood. Bam, planted hardscape. And lots of extra climbing space for your critters.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just get some cheap Java or Mixed Moss if you want to be cheap and low-tech?

Since you have more vertical space than horizontal, you could consider a couple cool pieces of driftwood or manzanita in each section. Super glue some chunks of moss on the wood. Bam, planted hardscape. And lots of extra climbing space for your critters.
Yeah :) I think that's what I'll go for. Maybe I'll add lights, I don't know yet.

Would I be better off with another Azoo Palm? Or should I go ahead and try two sponge filters?

I don't like buying any old java fern because it is... Not always clean. But I'd buy some Taiwan from a member here any day :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.