The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I didn't know where it should be posted.

I want to feed my nerites blanched zucchini since they have eaten up all of the algae in the tank but for some reason, it will not sink.

I boil water in the kettle and then put some of the water in a mug with the zucchini and let it sit for 1-3 minutes. Then, I put it in cold water. Is it not sinking because I'm doing something wrong? Is it because the zucchini was frozen first? I don't have a veggie clip to use and to be honest, I'd rather it be on the bottom for them anyway.

What am I doing wrong? 馃

Registered
If you have metal silverware, you cold always try using a fork or a knife to add weight to the food to hold it down.

Alternatively, use something heavy in the tank to hold it down. A rock or ornament?

Registered
I've used those little SS metal seafood forks I found at Goodwill for weighing down zucchini in my tanks and they work great. I tie some fishing line to the handles so I can just lower them into the tank without getting my hands wet and makes it easy to place them where I want and easy to retrieve also. I also tie something to the end of the fishing line so it hangs out of the tank such as a PVC fitting or a metal nut.

Registered
If you want your boiled veggies to sink you need to boil them. ;P

Put the zucchini in a pot of water and boil it. Let it boil for at least a couple of minutes. If you want it less cooked then go the silverware route already mentioned. A truly boiled veggie will sink on it's own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.