The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had dozens of snails living in my filters that I used to pick out and feed to clown loaches every week. I went to harvest some snails tonight, but found none! I usually see a bunch right away. I was kind of surprised. I recently changed the substrate after moving last week, but can't figure out what would make them disappear. They get lots of food coming to the filters. Would a possible ammonia spike kill all snails but not fish?? Do they hide at night??

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think you would see shells if a spike killed them all. IME, snail populations wax and wane, and removing the big breeders can cause the population to take a pretty major hit. Check back in a week or two, I'm sure you'll find some.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thinking; if they all died, I would see empty shells everywhere. I wonder if I somehow managed to pick off most the adults last time. I'd rather not have snails, but definitely not expecting to see none.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Bladder snails are ridiculously hardy in horrible water conditions (high ammonia) so its not an ammonia spike killing them off. I've grown them in tubs with no filter or plants (or water changes) just fine in the past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.