The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
ah! 55g you have a lot to work with :)

There are many species of parotocinclus, otocinclus, ancistrus, or hypancistrus that will work. Are you looking for a schooling fish, or would you prefer more singular fish of interest? Do you want them to potentially breed? What is your budget?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do really like catfish; I actually have a Leopard Frog Pleco (L134) that I was planning to house in this tank, but I didn't realize how much they like to re-arrange the substrate.. and he doesn't really care about leftover micro-pellets.
I'd like to keep the tank under-stocked so fish on the smaller side would be preferable. Maybe a group of 2-4? Breeding behavior would be neat to see but my breeding focus will be a pair of dwarf cichlids kept in that tank.
As far as budget, I got the tank second-hand and cheap lights but I believe in quality livestock ;). As long as they aren't L046's, I would consider them.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I do really like catfish; I actually have a Leopard Frog Pleco (L134) that I was planning to house in this tank, but I didn't realize how much they like to re-arrange the substrate.. and he doesn't really care about leftover micro-pellets.
I'd like to keep the tank under-stocked so fish on the smaller side would be preferable. Maybe a group of 2-4? Breeding behavior would be neat to see but my breeding focus will be a pair of dwarf cichlids kept in that tank.
As far as budget, I got the tank second-hand and cheap lights but I believe in quality livestock ;). As long as they aren't L046's, I would consider them.
Do you have any tubular/box type caves in the tank? They don't rearrange nearly as much when they have their hidey holes to go into. Stacked driftwood works, but not as well as ceramic caves. They are carnivorous, so prefer a meatier diet than pellets generally, and they are nocturnal, so you wouldn't necessarily see them going after the pellets readily during the day.

I would consider some nice ancistrus plecos. There are tons of really cool line bred and wild types on the market. They are easy to breed, omnivorous, and like the temperature and parameters you are talkign about. They won't predate on any apisto (I assume you are talking about apistos, but rams/laetecara/etc) fry, either, which could be an issue with a meat eating pleco or even larger corydoras catfish. I have had apistos get a bit aggressive with cories, as well, and not had it work out great long term. Pencil fish make a great dither, but you already have neons so probably don't want to go that route.

If you like the wild types, there are some cool red ones coming out of Peru. Otherwise, there are some beautiful albino/gold varieties as well.

While there are some really cool otos/parotos/etc available (many of which I am quite enamored with and stock), they are not going to eat a lot of micro pellets either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any tubular/box type caves in the tank? They don't rearrange nearly as much when they have their hidey holes to go into. Stacked driftwood works, but not as well as ceramic caves. They are carnivorous, so prefer a meatier diet than pellets generally, and they are nocturnal, so you wouldn't necessarily see them going after the pellets readily during the day.

I would consider some nice ancistrus plecos. There are tons of really cool line bred and wild types on the market. They are easy to breed, omnivorous, and like the temperature and parameters you are talkign about. They won't predate on any apisto (I assume you are talking about apistos, but rams/laetecara/etc) fry, either, which could be an issue with a meat eating pleco or even larger corydoras catfish. I have had apistos get a bit aggressive with cories, as well, and not had it work out great long term. Pencil fish make a great dither, but you already have neons so probably don't want to go that route.

If you like the wild types, there are some cool red ones coming out of Peru. Otherwise, there are some beautiful albino/gold varieties as well.

While there are some really cool otos/parotos/etc available (many of which I am quite enamored with and stock), they are not going to eat a lot of micro pellets either.
That is a great suggestion about the hidey holes, I will have to try that out. It would be great if I could keep the Leopard Frog in that tank (possibly with 1-2 females.. that would be one that I would definitely want to breed!).
It's also funny that you mention pencilfish because I do plan on adding some Eques and possibly purple pencilfish later on.
As far as mico pellet-eaters I've started looking at fish like Centromochlus perugiage, Bunocephalus coracoideus, Rineloricaria lanceolata, Akysis vespa. Kuhli loaches are also on my radar but at the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I like the SA suggestions best. I would not mix teh akysis- they are little tasmanian devils, only really fun at feeding time and would get lost in that size tank.

The rest sound cool, though the C. perugiae really prefer current to show their best behavior- think the hillstream of SA. I will be posting lots of pics of them soon and doing a write up as I have some coming in from Peru this week.

L134 are one of my favorite hypans, great fish! I also love Hypancistrus contradens- they are pretty underrated and outgoing so could be a consideration if you have a hard time tracking down sexed L134.

I adore purple pencils, they are just beautiful. I have a ton of pics of different pencils on my website if you are bored one day.

Definitely try the hidey holes, I have a ton of caves here that were a gift from a customer. i can never possibly use them all, so holler if you need suggestions on which kind, or if you want some, or if you want links on where to order some. We have a lot of talented cave makers in this hobby

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I will keep that in mind about the akysis. I've never actually seen a C. perugia in person, but it I always thought that they sounded neat; I'll definitely check out your write-up on them.
I'm also not sure if I've ever seen the H. contradens at my lfs.. do you know if they have any common names?
I did poke around your website a little bit and it looks like you sometimes carry purple pencilfish? I was also thinking about ordering some more clown killies in the future.. but I have had really rotten luck with male-only groups.
Lastly thank you very much for the cave recommendations!! If you really have extra that you'd like to pass on I might take you up on that offer =)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Thanks, I will keep that in mind about the akysis. I've never actually seen a C. perugia in person, but it I always thought that they sounded neat; I'll definitely check out your write-up on them.
I'm also not sure if I've ever seen the H. contradens at my lfs.. do you know if they have any common names?
I did poke around your website a little bit and it looks like you sometimes carry purple pencilfish? I was also thinking about ordering some more clown killies in the future.. but I have had really rotten luck with male-only groups.
Lastly thank you very much for the cave recommendations!! If you really have extra that you'd like to pass on I might take you up on that offer =)
H. contradens don't really have a common name, or an L number, they are similar to Inspectors, L102, which are called the snowball pleco.

I do carry purple pencils. Also, clown killies are very easy to sex. I am out of stock right now, but it is never a difficulty to sex thema nd I will be getting more soon.

I would happily pass on a couple caves for shipping, just email or pm me and I can get them out to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the SA suggestions best. I would not mix teh akysis- they are little tasmanian devils, only really fun at feeding time and would get lost in that size tank.

The rest sound cool, though the C. perugiae really prefer current to show their best behavior- think the hillstream of SA. I will be posting lots of pics of them soon and doing a write up as I have some coming in from Peru this week.

L134 are one of my favorite hypans, great fish! I also love Hypancistrus contradens- they are pretty underrated and outgoing so could be a consideration if you have a hard time tracking down sexed L134.

I adore purple pencils, they are just beautiful. I have a ton of pics of different pencils on my website if you are bored one day.

Definitely try the hidey holes, I have a ton of caves here that were a gift from a customer. i can never possibly use them all, so holler if you need suggestions on which kind, or if you want some, or if you want links on where to order some. We have a lot of talented cave makers in this hobby
Just thought you should know I went with Corydoras habrosus for the food scavengers. I did send you an email about the caves but I'm painfully new at everything to do with forums.. and I'm not even sure how to check my own email :icon_neut

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.