The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying out the blackout method for my 33 long which is currently suffering from green algae. The kind of algae that gets all over the substrate and glass. Not sure what is causing it. Cyanobacteria?

Besides that, has anyone had luck using the blackout method for their tank in helping algae?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I've not had much luck with blackouts for algae when a tank is planted. My plants tend to be more delicate then the algae. I would instead use manual removal, use fertilizers to package directions, do big water changes once to twice a week and if its really bad, use excel to spot treat effected locations with a syringe (depending on tolerance of critters).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't really noticed much of a smell. But then again, I don't think my tank smells particularly well due to being a fish tank lol

it's not really on the plants.. Not yet anyways. It's mostly on the substrate and a bit on the glass. Here's a pic of what it looks like. It's gotten worse since then.

Removing it by hand is not necessarily hard, but the fact that it keeps coming back is annoying. I may add a UV sterilizer. Hopefully if I do, it might help the issue of constantly regrowing back.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think I will definitely try that. Any recommendations? There is a brand I have seen that is on amazon, but supposedly several users have had all their fish die. I have read that supposedly blackouts will help cyano, but this remains to be seen. I have had the tank covered since yesterday. I don't particularly fancy this idea though as I think the fish are probably stressed out.

I also recently had one of my Aquaclear 50 power filters almost completely die on me so there was essentially no flow in that area for awhile. I recently put in a Seachem Tidal 35 in place of it. Could this be one of the contributing factors to the cyano?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I know there's plenty of treatments available for it but I've never used any of them. Just upping my water changes, manually removing what I could and good circulation/ surface agitation. It's a tough one, good luck!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I should mention I had the time and resources to do complete scrub downs and 100% changes everyday until it was gone, and even then it wasn't 100% gone, just hiding- would come back if I didn't keep my powerheads clean.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today is day 3 of the blackout. So far, I think it seems to be helping as I don't see any more green algae accumulated, at least from what I can tell. I think after I take down the cover from the tank, I will try using medication as well. I have had this problem in one of my past tanks and I remember using medication and I think it cleared up the problem and it never came back. But, each situation is different obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had luck finally getting rid of it by raising my lights. Although my tanks are low tech, I have Finnex 24/7 on them all as I love the sunrise/sunset.
I even tried dialing down the light intensity to no avail.
It isn’t pretty but I just set the lights in a melamine sponge and that seems to be working.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, so far, I took down the blanket covering the tank yesterday. Cyano on the substrate. There is still some covering the rocks though and on the back glass, but not too bad. I think I will now try some of the medication. I don't mind on a few parts of the tank, but having your sand substrate tinged green definitely doesn't work for me lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.