The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Need your opinion. Ive been fighting an algae issue with my tank. At first it was brown and thought it was diatoms and hoped that it would go away. Now it has turned into green algae cuz my white rocks have green spots on it and what looks like bushes growing on top of the white rocks. So Ive tried lots of things like phosguard, and the planted tank only has lights on for 4 hrs a day. 12-2pm and 6-8pm. Its not by a window either so I dont know how this algae is so strong. Anyways I was thinking about putting a blanket over my entire tank for 2 days. I have around 40 Red Cherry Shrimp and 7 Bronze corys in the tank. As for plants I have jungle val, Dwarf hair grass, Anubius and java fern and Wendtii. Will my fish,shrimp and plants survive the 2 day black out?

THanks

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It takes plants 3.5 hrs to fully get growing after the sun comes up.
So this two hrs of light twice a day does nothing for the plants.
What light level do you have in there?

They don't need the light for a few days.
You don't have any faster growing type plants.
I'd throw in a bunch of Anacharis for a while till the algae problem is over at least.

Reactions: Nordic

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
So Ive tried lots of things like phosguard
Did you actually test it before deciding to add the phosguard? I'd actually be inclined to think it may be because you have a deficiency in this regard. It is not always the amounts that are important but the ratio to other elements.

Blacking out is not correcting what is wrong, it is just a symptom treatment and not even effective on some algae like the black beard family.

Remember to dose something with iron, even if it is just Tetra Plantamin if you decide to throw in the Anacharis or the leaves will go clear and fall off... quite messy..

·
Registered
975 Posts
Too little light duration definitely. I would go 3.5 hrs, rest for 3-5 hrs, then another 3.5 hrs on. This doesn't address intensity just duration. Have a pic? Tell us about your plant mass or show us. Phosguard simply removes phosphates which plants need. So unless your dumping in to many phosphates or your water supply is too rich with them this likely only hurt your situation. A pic would help greatly

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you do decide to do the blackout route, the fish and plants will be fine. They may be a bit pale and hungry but they will color back up. I highly recommend you follow the previous responders' advice first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for the quick replies ! Its no wonder why my dwarf hair grass dont seem to be growing and in fact dying. I guess I'll turn it back up for 3.5 hrs. Im going to be honest with you guys, I dont know what light I have. Ive included a picture of the bulbs and they are a F40 T12 Full spectrum if that means anything. Ive got them on my 23G tank which is 30inches long 12" deep and 18" high. Maybe my lights are too strong?

So in the pictures, I used my cell phone (which doesnt have the best camera) but if you look at the white rock you can see the green algae growing on it. I know its not the WORST case of algae (or far from it) but I dont want it to get worse or even continue because I find it so ugly. What I think is black beard algae I took off the rocks when doing the weekly clean. But in the 3rd picture of the pink rock its on the top right of the snail. Its small but its there.

Thanks again for all your help

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Even in the cleanest system biofilm will grow over everything. Established old biofilm can look a lot like algae... I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you put white rocks in, don't expect them to look crystal clear white forever. When they get too far gone for your liking, chuck them in the dishwasher to reset to white.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even in the cleanest system biofilm will grow over everything. Established old biofilm can look a lot like algae... I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you put white rocks in, don't expect them to look crystal clear white forever. When they get too far gone for your liking, chuck them in the dishwasher to reset to white.

oh... so that nasty stuff on my rocks is normal? yuck lol. Thanks.

What about that fuzzy stuff thats growing on my rock? looks like the bristle on a toothbrush except its like brown/green ish ?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Possibly som algae in between. In my one tank, the only rocks with green algae are the white ones, I think it has something to do with the extra light being reflected back. When I want them white again, I'll dishwasher them. I kinda like the natural look (minus a thick layer of mulm).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Possibly som algae in between. In my one tank, the only rocks with green algae are the white ones, I think it has something to do with the extra light being reflected back. When I want them white again, I'll dishwasher them. I kinda like the natural look (minus a thick layer of mulm).
Thank you for all your help sir. I will not be blacking out my tank

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a 3 day blackout on my 5 gallon to fight off some BGA....

Killed off half of my monte carlo and my hairgrass is looking really sad....

I'm afraid I may have signed my tank's death warrant.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Frankly I wish my tank was as free of algae as the OP's tank appears to be.

Best to not make hasty changes with light periods or water parameters.

In other words, do not give in to the Panic Monster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts