The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Black worm is not a true culture. I've never heard of an aquarist propagating them. Have you?

"Better" can mean different things to different people, e.g. cost, ease of keeping/propagating, availability, nutrition, etc. I've never used White worm, have always heard negatives on them. Just last week I met up with an experienced breeder of different wild Betta species who had experience with them and swore he'd never use them again.

Years ago when I was trying to figure out which foods were most preferred I'd feed one type of food to satiation, then offer another type to see if it would be accepted. Try feeding frozen blood worm, for example, until the fish are full and will not eat anymore. Then offer them live mosquito larvae. They WILL eat the mosquito larvae, even while excess frozen blood worm lies on the tank floor, but not vice versa.

I suspect fish favor live Black worm vs live White worm. If you have both then try both and let us know.

Reactions: Docock

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pennsylvania black worms... the Californians, last I heard (2 months ago) were hit hard by drought and are still in recovery. For really small fish, if using the "worm keepers" sold by the California company, take the worms that wiggle their way through the edges of the screen and wind up in the lower box tray. Those are amongst the smallest. For really, really small fish the worms can be chopped.

Reactions: Docock
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.